Borgeson Power Steering Gear Box Conversion for 1957

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

TJSHEA

Borgeson Power Steering Gear Box Conversion for 1957

Post by TJSHEA »

Hello, Once again I bring my novice self to ask for some experience expertise. I am having my 57 worked on at a local restoration shop here in as Vegas. They work on vintage and muscle cars from Auburns and concourse class Packards and up. The work they have done on my car, as well as some friend's and relative's, has produced great results. The owner suggested that to solve some ongoing steering issues, I might consider removing the old-style gearbox, and installing a Borgeson power steering gear box. The pumps, etc remains, but the troublesome control valve and I believe a possibly failing ram cylinder would go away. The owner said that there is a shortening modification necessary that they do to the steering column. But when completed, the steering is improved more along the lines of a "modern system." Ball joints also are being replaced as they are worn. Since I was concerned about changing things from "original," he is going to give me a spare 57 steering shaft, and the other parts, so if I want, or if I sell the car, it can be returned to "original." I also spoke to a friend who runs a corvette shop and he says he has put dozens of the conversions on vintage corvettes. I am always leery about changing things from the original design without a good safety/operability reason. My question is, I looked a round a bit but did not find too much forum conversation concerning the pros/cons of the conversion. I was hoping someone on this site may have experiences with he conversion either good or bad, and pass their experience on. Thanks in advance.
55blacktie

Re: Borgeson Power Steering Gear Box Conversion for 1957

Post by 55blacktie »

According to Gil Baumgartener, the 55-57 ball joints were over-engineered and normally don't wear out. However, I damaged one of my upper ball joints and replaced it with a made-in-India aftermarket ball joint that's sold by one of the Tbird suppliers. Although my car is still undergoing restoration and isn't roadworthy, the aftermarket ball joint, so far, requires considerably more force to rotate the spindle. For that reason, I bought a NOS ball joint from Ross Woodman, a CTCI Sacramento Chapter member. When my car is ready to go to the alignment shop, I will take the NOS ball joint with me, in case it's necessary to remove the aftermarket ball joint. It's possible that the ball joint will loosen up once my car is driven. Hopefully, your restoration shop knows these cars and isn't considering ball joint replacement simply based on the age of your car.

If you ever decide to install headers on your car, they probably won't clear the Borgeson steering box. Headers, such as FPA and Sanderson, that are specifically designed for 55-57 Tbirds, aren't an exception.
SWPruett

Post by SWPruett »

@55blacktie,

I have been looking at the Borgeson steering box conversion as well for my 56. Physically, the Borgeson box doesn’t appear to be much bigger (if any) than the OE box. Is it the lines and fittings that causes header clearance issues with the FPA or Sanderson offerings? Good stuff!
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

I don't know why the Borgeson box won't clear. Solo57bird provided the info. in a PM. He said that another member of this forum had posted it. I have no firsthand knowledge, but I wouldn't invest in headers or the Borgeson conversion until knowing exactly what you intend to do and how much trouble it will be. I have often found that using non-original/aftermarket parts can open up a new can of worms. As far as the Sanderson Tbird headers go, the only issue I've found is the necessity to remove the engine oil dip stick tube before installing the passenger-side header, and then reinstalling the tube after the header is installed. My 55 has manual steering and brakes.

Were you able to contact Gene Benson?
SWPruett

Post by SWPruett »

Roger that and thanks for the clarification. I have a fairly decent stock of good factory exhaust manifolds and probably will never have a clearance issue as described if I do go the Borgeson route (very likely). I suppose if I just have to have headers, I could always build them in-house and not worry about it.

Also, I had an excellent conversation with Gene Benson this morning! I am checking on a few details on my car this afternoon and will be ordering a C4 conversion kit from him today!
Last edited by SWPruett on Tue May 02, 2023 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TJSHEA

Post by TJSHEA »

Thanks for the info. I was not planning on putting on any headers, etc. Just looking to improve the steering problem I was experiencing, when the option of the switch to the Borgeson steering gear box was brought up. My thought was this would improve the steering, let me retain most of the original look by keeping the stock pump, etc, and eliminate some parts that seemed to be a reoccurring issue and leak a bit. A plus was that in this case, it would be reversable if for some reason I elected to go back to original. One added feature is that it would not be that expensive. Again, thanks for the responses.
ranchbird

Post by ranchbird »

I was looking at mine the other day after reading your post about headers and the borgeson steering box, mine has a stock steering box but I could see that the hose connections on top of the box might be a problem.
Attachments
P1030433.JPG
TJSHEA

Post by TJSHEA »

Hello. I thought I would provide an update to what I started with this post in April. The shop here in Las Vegas has completed the work of transitioning my 57 to the Borgeson. The folks are very detailed and exact in the work they do. The shop owner took many photos, some look like those supplied above, through the process and kept notes to send to Borgeson so they could improve the instructions (apparently currently pretty minimal) for install on our T-Birds if they desire. With what I have been reading about quality control issues with some of the replacement control valves and ram cylinders, and the leaks these parts seem prone to sprout now and then, having them now gone just eliminates two things that may have needed attention in the future. For the change I did elect to retain the original steering pump and reservoir. Now, the car steers like a modern car, responsive and smooth, cornering is sure and the steering corrects to center, etc. The steering problems I was experiencing are gone. I am retaining the replaced/removed parts and have a replacement shaft so if I ever sell the car, or decide to go back to "original," I have the parts. One has to look pretty hard to see the changes made with this steering change, For me, I do not try and achieve a "concours" car. I am not meticulous nor skilled enough for that. Not to mention the lack of funds for such Like many I read from on these forums, I try to balance reasonable safety improvements yet keep as much of an original look as practical in the bargain. This steering change, so far, seems to have achieved that, and solved a steering issue that made the car difficult to drive at times. and 55Blacktie, as you noted, when the steering was taken apart, the mechanics found that the ball joints, etc, were in great shape. So, they were not part of the problem as originally thought. If I have a "failure" occur, I will update this again. Hopefully, I didn't just jinx myself. Thanks again for all of the input etc, from you all on this forum. I find it very valuable
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

TJSHEA, are those Sanderson headers? Did you have to make additional modifications to clear the headers?

It looks like you aren't using a carburetor spacer. Although the Mummert Tbid intake manifold is a bit taller than the original, you should have enough room for at least a half-inch phenolic spacer with your drop-base air cleaner. Using a 57 intake, Holley 4150 Street Avenger carburetor, and Summit 14-inch 1 1/2" drop-base air cleaner, I have at least enough room for a 1/2-inch spacer without preventing the hood from closing. The air cleaner has a 3-inch element. Using a 2-2 1/2-inch element will put the lid too close to the carburetor bowl vents.
TJSHEA

Post by TJSHEA »

That is not a photo of my car, I have stock exhaust manifolds. The Borgeson steering box sits where my old steering gearbox sat.
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Got it. I think that's a photo of Ranchbird's car, in which case he has the original steering box.
SWPruett

Post by SWPruett »

TJShea,

I would welcome any pictures or documentation you would be willing to share on your entire adventure. It would make for excellent archival reference material and perhaps answer a lot of questions for anyone new to the idea of making this conversion. Clearly, it’s not trivial, but on the other hand, not insurmountable either. Just a thought/request! And thanks!