VIN Help Please

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1958-60 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Two Moto Kiwis

VIN Help Please

Post by Two Moto Kiwis »

Good morning all, my first post on here. I am looking at purchasing a 60 square bird and looking for information on figuring out the vin etc.

Car is not mine yet so a little reluctant to display for the world to see, so without sounding funny is it safe to put it on here?

Cheers Andi
Jimntempe

Re: VIN Help Please

Post by Jimntempe »

Two Moto Kiwis

Post by Two Moto Kiwis »

Thank you, didn't really get info I wanted, seems hard to find.

Cheers Andi
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

If you're wanting to decide the VIN that's simple: all 1960 Tbirds start with 0Y meaning 1960 model year and Wixom Final Assembly Plant. Next 2 numbers are for model - 71 for hardtop, 73 for convertible (sunroof-equipped hardtops had no unique number). The 5th character is the engine - Y for the 352 cid-4v engine and J for the 430 cid-4v engine. The consecutive unit/serial number starts with 1 and followed by 5 digits to indicate the consecutive unit number, which will range between 00001-92,xxxx for the last one built.

If you're wanting to decode the bottom line of codes for Body, color, trim, date, axle and trans, post them here or PM me directly to decode.

Decoding information is in VTCI's 1958-1960 Original Factory Specifications Manual, available to members-in-good-standing of VTCI through VTCI's Country Store. http://vintagethunderbirdclub.net/country_store.htm
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster