Any Pics of Aluminum Radiator Installations?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

wallyblackburn

Any Pics of Aluminum Radiator Installations?

Post by wallyblackburn »

Would love to hear any details about aluminum rad installs. What brackets did you use? Any other mounting details. Stock hoses? Pics would be sweet.

Thanks in advance,
Wally
wallyblackburn

Re: Any Pics of Aluminum Radiator Installations?

Post by wallyblackburn »

Sorry if it's annoying, but replying to my own post... The aluminum rad I got has nice mounting brackets that match up with the stock one on the bottom. Problem is...the corners of the side tanks are squared off instead of rounded like stock. So, the aluminum rad won't fit down in to rounded bottom corners of the core support. It's also a tad wider. Who would've thought a Chinese radiator for less that $150 would not fit perfectly? :shock:

I can:
- fab bottom brackets to move it higher
- cut out the rounded part of the core support and weld in patches
- get another radiator

It will be hardest, but I'm leaning towards #2
Attachments
IMG_7299.JPG
IMG_7298.JPG
dgalietti

Post by dgalietti »

That looks identical to the radiator I put in.. It just dropped right in. I've posted a few pics you can see under my posts. I'm not sure how helpful they will be though. Now I need to go back and look at it to make sure I didn't do anything dumb.
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Why not round off the bottom corners of the radiator? It's out of the car and can be worked over on a bench. Even if you have to pay someone to TIG weld the $150 "budget" radiator it would still be less aggravating than trying to hack up your body. Talk with a racing fabricator in your area if you don't feel you have the skills to get it done.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
wallyblackburn

Post by wallyblackburn »

Actually, I got a helper and was able to seat the bottom correctly and it fit just fine! I modified the top shroud/bracket and I think it turned out great.
Attachments
IMG_7301.JPG
IMG_7304.JPG
IMG_7307.JPG
IMG_7302.JPG
IMG_7303.JPG