CORRECT HEATER HOSE SET UP

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

ELTBIRD

CORRECT HEATER HOSE SET UP

Post by ELTBIRD »

Good morning!
Well, I just finished fixing the under dash electrical and vacuum lines. Also put a new heater core in. The old core was not connected which leads to my info request. I need to connect the heater hoses correctly but I cannot find a diagram anywhere showing the routing for a 1966 with AC. I have a hose clamp next to the choke, a double outlet on the manifold, a Y connector and a heater water valve. Can someone reply with a diagram showing the correct routing and what goes where? Or, if you have an AC car, pics showing the set up would be great. Thanks! Ed
Rt.146

Re: CORRECT HEATER HOSE SET UP

Post by Rt.146 »

Water goes in from the bottom, out from the top, I think.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

Here is a couple of photos of a 65 with AC. Hope they help
Attachments
DSC01223-1.jpg
DSC01221-1.jpg
ELTBIRD

Post by ELTBIRD »

Thanks for the replies buy still not clear to me. A paper sketch would be great showing the set up from 2 outlets on manifold and water pump to heater core incorporating the carb clamp, Y connector and water valve. Thanks, Ed
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

The diagram for the heater hose routing is actually found in the 1966 Thunderbird Electrical Assembly Manual on page 60. Yes, I know, strange place to find that! If you don't have the electrical manual I recommend you get one. I'm currently working on the OFS revision and was just looking at this diagram earlier this afternoon! I'm including the diagram for you here.
Scott
Attachments
66 heater hose routing for a car with air conditioning.JPG
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

water pump.jpg
[attachment=0]water pump.jpg
Attachments
water pump 2.jpg
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

BEAR IN MIND each year is slightly different in how the heater lines are run, and what is used with them. Scott6T6 posted the closest thing you're going to find in Ford-produced literature for routing on your '66. Don't doubt him, and please heed his advice to get the Electrical Assembly Manual reprint for your specific model year, along with the Body/Trim Assembly Manual. Both will go a long way in helping you understand how things were put together.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
ELTBIRD

Post by ELTBIRD »

Hi,
Thank you all so much for your replies! This info is invaluable to me. I have been using these manuals and others for this ongoing restoration. Very interesting to see how the engineering is similar and/or different from other cars I have restored in the past. I did see the non AC heater hose set up but I missed the AC set up on page 60. Thanks Scott!
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

What happens when the heater hoses are reversed?
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

Air will be trapped in the core. Very little or no heat.
Terry
64HT
Gillerd

Post by Gillerd »

Scott6T6 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:48 pm The diagram for the heater hose routing is actually found in the 1966 Thunderbird Electrical Assembly Manual on page 60. Yes, I know, strange place to find that! If you don't have the electrical manual I recommend you get one. I'm currently working on the OFS revision and was just looking at this diagram earlier this afternoon! I'm including the diagram for you here.
Scott
Thanks for the diagram. This is what my friend neighbor is looking for. Gonna print and show this tomorrow when I help him install the headache rack and tonneau covers onto his truck.
ELTBIRD

Post by ELTBIRD »

Good evening,
My current project...Dual heater hose fitting on top of the intake manifold is rusty and leaking so I got a replacement. Existing one is 1" square. Replacement is 7/8" hex. Which is original? Also, can't get the old one loose. Soaked with liquid wrench, hit wrench with a hammer, no good. Thinking of using a breaker bar but I might snap it off. Any suggestions? On to the heater hose routing...Looking at page 60 in the electrical manual. It's not very clear by the Y connector but this is what I think is right...please let me know...
Starting at the dual manifold fitting where the coolant runs out...one hose connects to the smaller opening, goes thru carb choke clamp and connects to the Y connector. Next hose comes from the larger opening in the manifold fitting and goes to the upper heater valve connection. Then a hose leaves the bottom of the valve and goes to the lower heater core connection. Upper heater core connection hose goes to the Y. Final hose goes from the Y to the water pump connection which the coolant runs into. Sound good? Thanks....Ed
georgemii

Post by georgemii »

The intake manifold is cast; the “Y” fitting is not.
I predict that several cycles of heating and cooling would make a big difference
(as you try to remove the fitting).
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

Existing one is 1" square. Replacement is 7/8" hex. Which is original?
This is what you should have. Good luck. Bob C
103-0326_IMG.JPG
Starting at the dual manifold fitting where the coolant runs out...one hose connects to the smaller opening, goes thru carb choke clamp and connects to the Y connector. Next hose comes from the larger opening in the manifold fitting and goes to the upper heater valve connection. Then a hose leaves the bottom of the valve and goes to the lower heater core connection. Upper heater core connection hose goes to the Y. Final hose goes from the Y to the water pump connection which the coolant runs into. Sound good? Thanks....Ed
Yes, sounds right.
EDIT! nope, not through the choke clamp, but through the carb spacer plate. sorry
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
ELTBIRD

Post by ELTBIRD »

I am hesitant to torch the Y. It's far enough from the carb but it has flammable liquid wrench all over it.