Hello and Headliner Questions

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Lakeside Bird

Hello and Headliner Questions

Post by Lakeside Bird »

Hello fellow birdwatchers,

I made this account a couple months ago, but I'm only just getting around to posting. At the tail end of this summer I bought a lovely '66 Landau (well, "formerly" anyway--the top vinyl had been stripped for roof restoration and remained that way when I purchased it) as my first car (a bit of a journey so far as you can imagine, but it has certainly been worth it). The old lady is currently in storage in preparation for snow's end, but in the meantime I've been preparing for some of the work that has to be done to bring her up to full strength (some engine-work, a bit of sprayed-over rust falloff around the wheel wells, and a big sprayed-over crack on the passenger side forward quarter panel being the biggest offenders). Outside of that she's very straight and, when her motor isn't being cranky, drives wonderfully. I'm overjoyed to own it; these cars truly are "unique in all the world!"

I'm writing in particular to ask a potentially banal question. As mentioned earlier, the vinyl on the car was stripped off in order to restore the roof (I assume it fell prey to roof rust-through that afflicts plenty of other vinyl-topped cars). Having inspected the top, I have the feeling that the roof was actually fully or partially reconstructed to bring it back up to snuff (fine by me, as I'd rather prioritize the car's health and lifespan rather than have everything be completely original). As a result of that, however, I realized after a bit of research that the headliner boards to which the interior vinyl should be attached were either lost or deemed unusable during the roof's restoration (right now some plastic insulation simply hangs down from beneath the metal frame the roof console and molding attaches to). I've looked around to try and find if anyone sells NOS or reproduction panels, but that doesn't seem to be the case; I've only ever found people selling the vinyl, not the boards.

With all this in mind--does anyone know if there are any methods used in the past to create new headliner boards, or know any places that sell them? I'll go trapsing through junkyards if I have to, but as they're apparently made of hardened cardboard I'm not sure if I'll find any that are usable--if I can even find a car with them.

Lastly, if you care to, feel free to tell me something that you wish you knew when you were working on your first '66! I'd appreciate any and all general knowledge. Thanks again everyone!

jtschug

Re: Hello and Headliner Questions

Post by jtschug »

The boards you are looking for are actually pressed fiberglass.

Welcome to Thunderbird ownership. It is a jigsaw puzzle, a scavenger hunt, and contortionist's physical challenge all in one hobby.

There are several companies you can find on the web that specialize in vintage Thunderbird parts. You will see on the web pages the new reproduction parts and some rebuilt parts. Not on the website are the inventory of used parts. To check if they have those used parts, you typically need to call them on the phone.

My two favorites are the Bird Nest and Pat Wilson Thunderbird, but these are not the only companies. There is also a list of books that can be useful if you need to do repair projects. I'm sure someone will drop it into this thread.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

Lakeside Bird, welcome to the club. I see you've figured out how to post a picture, that's half the battle around here :lol: The thing I would stress to you is about the swing away column, USE IT!!! When moved to the right, the shifter is prevented from slipping out of PARK, and they will slip out. Anytime you aren't in the driver's seat, the column should be swung over to the right. There are many stories of car doors folded backwards because a running car jumped into reverse with the door open and caught the garage. JMO, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

Your car from the picture you posted looks good, best of luck with it!

Those headliner boards were with my car, I had to strip the foam from them, then fiber glassed the boards, probably any 66 with the boards if not already stripped for a replacement headliner will need to be stripped of the foam, they are fragile the fiberglass gives them a new life, I have heard of someone making fiberglass solid boards that will replace the fiber boards, those I would possibly have gotten if I had not already glassed my boards for the new headliner I had put on.
Lakeside Bird

Post by Lakeside Bird »

Thanks for the welcomes and well-wishes everyone! As well as your advice, I greatly appreciate it!
jtschug wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:14 am The boards you are looking for are actually pressed fiberglass.

Welcome to Thunderbird ownership. It is a jigsaw puzzle, a scavenger hunt, and contortionist's physical challenge all in one hobby.

There are several companies you can find on the web that specialize in vintage Thunderbird parts. You will see on the web pages the new reproduction parts and some rebuilt parts. Not on the website are the inventory of used parts. To check if they have those used parts, you typically need to call them on the phone.
This is invaluable; I was under the complete impression that the stock on the sites were the stock they had, so I'll definitely be sure to call around instead so that I can get a better idea of what they have. Likely a great idea in general as I'd love to be able to grab authentic parts in good condition if I can't grab NOS; replications are fine for small things, but I'd much rather be able to explore my options for bigger things. Thanks!

Noted on them being fiberglass as well--that sounds more in-line with what I'd expect build-quality-wise. Pressed cardboard just seems like it would rot through.
redstangbob wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:28 pm Lakeside Bird, welcome to the club. I see you've figured out how to post a picture, that's half the battle around here :lol: The thing I would stress to you is about the swing away column, USE IT!!! When moved to the right, the shifter is prevented from slipping out of PARK, and they will slip out. Anytime you aren't in the driver's seat, the column should be swung over to the right. There are many stories of car doors folded backwards because a running car jumped into reverse with the door open and caught the garage. JMO, Bob C
Now that sounds like a terror; the thing is so low and long in the front and back that I'm already constantly paranoid about hitting cars or scraping the curb when parking (getting a handle on her dimensions while behind the wheel has been a little slow-going) but the last thing I'd want is the thing lurching backward when I step out to check my park job! I've thankfully been swinging the wheel to the side whenever I get out solely because I think it looks cool (and is actually helpful for exiting), but I'll be sure to do it for the safety of the car too!
Rt.146 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:32 pm Your car from the picture you posted looks good, best of luck with it!

Those headliner boards were with my car, I had to strip the foam from them, then fiber glassed the boards, probably any 66 with the boards if not already stripped for a replacement headliner will need to be stripped of the foam, they are fragile the fiberglass gives them a new life, I have heard of someone making fiberglass solid boards that will replace the fiber boards, those I would possibly have gotten if I had not already glassed my boards for the new headliner I had put on.
Thank you! It's quite handsome in person as well. If you know who makes those replacements, I'd love to hear about them! Noted on the scraping that'll be involved as well; I remember reading somewhere that they're quite delicate, so it may be a more involved process than I was expecting. If I source an older board I'll be sure to be gentle with it! On that note actually, do people tend to replace the foam for a full look, or is that not worth bothering with for the most part?
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

The other 64-64 Flairbirds use "bows" possibly finding an auto upholsterer, familiar with headliners, they may be able to convert the headliner from the boards using bows instead. It could very well work, that would save putting on the hair shirt along with the gnashing of teeth, at least for this one in trying to find the find the fixes for a myraid of problems these cars can present.
sleeper bird

Post by sleeper bird »

his car probably has the two piece headliner with the roof console separating the two.at one time there were fiberglass replacements iv not seen them listed.Your best bet is to reach out to the birds nest and see if they have any used ones,if they do or if you find them fiberglass them they are super fragile. They are /were some sort of layered foam sort of material and break easily.
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »