modern type starter

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

claybreaker 144

Re: modern type starter

Post by claybreaker 144 »

Johnny63 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:38 am After much research, I ended up buying the starter drive from Total Performance, available on eBay for $25. and a Napa Starter for a 66 T-Bird for $80. They even gave me some tips on installing the drive.....easy install....works sweet....

Thanks for all the input!
I did the same from Total Performance and they sent a discount after I added it to my Ebay watch list. I did have an issue with the starter squealing and after calling Total Performance they said 1963 was when Ford added the metal spacer between the block and transmission so use prior to 63 will require a spacer. I guess Ford made a spacer that has long been discontinued and the aftermarket spacer wasn't correct. I used washers that were held in place with silicone.
My old starter was rebuilt by a local shop but it still ran my battery down after a couple long cranks or wouldn't turn the motor over at all when it was hot. New starter is now smooth sailing!
66 Elcamino
62 F100 Uni CVS
62 Tbird Hardtop M Code under restoration
55 Stude Next up
61 Tbird Convt Project