Reverse tail lights

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Walt57Yuma

Reverse tail lights

Post by Walt57Yuma »

New 57 T-Bird “D” Automatic owner and to this VT club. I took notice that my rear backup lights remain on even when the ignition is turned off and transmission in park. Would appreciate any insight as to how I might correct this problem. I have tried to turn the lights on and off and ran through the shifter pattern multiple times with no luck.
Walt
CSPIDY

Re: Reverse tail lights

Post by CSPIDY »

When did this start to happen?
Has anyone been into the wiring?
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA
Walt57Yuma

Post by Walt57Yuma »

The car has been in storage for 2-years. Have driven it for 2 days and this problem has occurred. No wiring change. The only things done have been fuel tank cleaning, new battery and fluid change, so far.
55Greg&Amy

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

The only thing that could cause that would be the black wire with the red stripe getting power from somewhere. It should come from the reverse lights and go to the neutral switch at the gearshift then to the headlight switch. It gets power when the headlights or park lights are on and the car is placed in reverse. A safety upgrade is pulling the power wire from the headlight switch and putting it on the (on) terminal of the ignition switch so that they light up anytime the car is on and placed in reverse.
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

I expect there is an issue in the "neutral start switch". That switch has an additional set of contacts that sends power to the back-up lights when the shift lever is in reverse.

Does the car only start in neutral? Or can it start in any gear?
Rusty
VTCI 13079
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

I agree with Rusty. I would check the switch first. Be aware you may also have an extra set of contacts visible due to a past owner modifying the original start in neutral only switch to start in park. This was a somewhat common modification before the new start in park switches were available from our suppliers.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Rusty hit it on the head, Check the contacts in the neutral switch. Things seem to get dusty when in storage for a while.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Walt57Yuma

Post by Walt57Yuma »

The car only starts in Neutral. I will check the neutral switch as you all recommended but likely after the Thanksgiving holiday.
After inspecting this car to a degree, I agree that a car sitting around for a few years does more harm than good. I can see switch contact points rusty and seals drying out. Will let you know what I find with the neutral switch. Thanks for your help, it’s very useful in getting to the problem by elimination.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Clean the contacts with a extra fine grit sandpaper. Spray electronics cleaner contact around the entire neutral switch. If you can't find it then look for a Spray can of Mass Air flow sensor cleaner. Move the stick shift back and forth while spraying.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

PB Blaster works well on the contacts. I used it on the rheostat for my dash lights and after a few rotations it came back to life and also leaves a thin anti-corrosion film to prevent any new corrosion issues. Used it on my turn signal switch also when I pulled the wheel to replace the broken canceling cam.
VTCI # 13223
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

Hi Walt,

I re-read your original post. Are you saying that the back-up lights are on whenever the battery is connected?

If so, there is something really weird in the wiring. I don’t know how power would get to the back-up lights all the time unless there was a complete circuit from the battery to that wire going to the rear.

In the original wiring the back-up lights were only on when the headlights were on and the shifter was in reverse. (I don’t have access to the wiring schematic right now. The head light switch might have fed power to the reverse switch when either the parking lights or the headlights were on.)

Possibly the contacts for the back-up lights that are in the neutral start switch could be “stuck on” and someone re-wired to always feed power to that circuit. Sometimes people do re-wire to feed that power whenever the ignition is on so the back-up lights will come on whenever the car is shifted into reverse even if the head light switch is off. In your case they could have taken power from a “hot always” wire.
Rusty
VTCI 13079
DynoDan’55

Re: Reverse tail lig

Post by DynoDan’55 »

ward 57 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:27 pm PB Blaster works well on the contacts. I used it on the rheostat for my dash lights and after a few rotations it came back to life and also leaves a thin anti-corrosion film to prevent any new corrosion issues. Used it on my turn signal switch also when I pulled the wheel to replace the broken canceling cam.
I wonder if it would work on my org. gas gauge sender (?). If I ever get around to trying, I would like to resurrect the old part, since the repro replacement unit seems a bit slow to respond, and fine-tuning it’s accuracy to exactly match the factory one would likely involve some effort.