Electric Fuel Pump Or Mechanical

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1958-60 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
bird 60

Electric Fuel Pump Or Mechanical

Post by bird 60 »

Hi, My '60 T. Bird had an off body restoration 10 years ago & still looks like a brand new car. It's all stock standard except for the Fuel Pump it's electric. It's starting to get noisy & looking at replacing it. It's in the rear just outside the Fuel Tank. Should I replace it with another Electric or the Mechanical ?. I've heard Mechanical for Carby & Electric for Fuel Injected cars. Please advise as I need to act at the earliest.

Thank you in advance.
Bird 60.... South Australia :?:
tbird430

Post by tbird430 »

I would go back with the original mechanical pump if it is a 352cid car, the mechanical pumps for the 430cid car's are getting hard to find, and are moe expensive.... ;-)
bbktexas

Fuel Pump

Post by bbktexas »

I use both an electric and mechanical. If your car sits for a week or more between trips the electric helps pump up the system so it is not as hard on your starter or battery. The mechanical pump acts as a regulator and retains the stock appearance on my 430. For a carbureted engine you do not need more that a 6 or 7 psi pump. Mounting the pump in rubber and can help with the noise.

A friend uses only an electric and installed a hidden switch under the dash as an anti-theft device. If it is stolen it will only run until the gas in the carb runs out.

I hope I have not made your decision more confusing.
Brad&Bonnie
60 430 Hdtp
87 Turbo Coupe
BenTBird

Re: Electric Fuel Pump Or Mechanical

Post by BenTBird »

I have a 60 t-bird and want to install an electronic fuel pump. I can only find a positive lead at the starter switch which is 6 volts. It does not provide enough pressure for the 12 volt pump. Can I use a 6 volt pump and get a good flow?
Thanks