wipers not working

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

marks

wipers not working

Post by marks »

I just purchase a 63 hardtop that hasn't run in a while so I have some work to do. My next project is the front windshield wipers are not working . I looked in the manual but no reference to the hydraulic system. Any ideas of another source for info. Thanks
MN63Tbird

Re: wipers not working

Post by MN63Tbird »

I also purchased my 63 with an inoperable wiper system. I could not find any specific info so I just started to trouble shoot by taking things apart. The wiper motor or pump I believe is a one off unit design for 63. The marketing for the unit was that it could give a variable speed control to the blades and that rate set would be uniform at any speed. This was something the old vacuum systems did not provide particularly when you were trying to accelerate. Future units would just use an electric motor and control the current flow to the motor. Much simpler.

The unit runs off of the power steering system.When you open the hood you should be able to trace two lines from the center of the firewall to the power steering unit system. One goes to the top of the power steering unit just below the master cylinder. These lines provided the fluid pressure to the pump. The control for the wipers is done by varying the flow to the pump. The wiper knob when you turn it moves a cable that opens and closes fluid flow on the unit.

To trouble shoot the unit I would suggest removing the cowl grill plate from the windshield to the hood. Give yourself a couple hours to remove and reinstall the cowl piece. This involves removing a dozen screws, unplugging the antenna at the radio and removing the wipers. There are a few small tricks for each those. Need to access the radio via the top grill plate to get to the antenna cable and pull some pins on the wipers. Once that cowl is off you can easily see what the problem may be. The cable and inlet and outlet to the pump will be visible. One thing may be simply the screw on the pump to hold the cable is loose or the area due to almost 60 years has a lot of dirt and crud that prevents movement of the linkages from the pump that run to the wipers. These can seize up if they have not been used for a while. That will be the easy fix.

If when you turn the wiper control knob the cable does not move at the pump then the issue could be with the knob assembly on the dash. Inside that unit is a plastic gear that moves the cable as you turn the knob and that can break over time. If the cable system is ok then check that you are getting fluid to the pump from the power steering. If all that looks good then maybe the pump needs rebuilt. That can be done by someone who repairs hydraulic pumps. Larrys Thunderbird used to have a service for that but does not anymore. I used them to do mine. There are a few o rings and gaskets in the pump that degrade with time. I have been told that it is not that difficult.

Good luck

Mn63
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
1966 Mustang Coupe A code
marks

Re: wipers not working

Post by marks »

Now that's good info Thanks