1964 bird transmission

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Billekid

1964 bird transmission

Post by Billekid »

Hello everyone. I have a stock 64 thunderbird, I am currently doing body repair and went a little overboard buying parts. (Pro flo4, ridetech suspension, etc) I was going to have the heads redone, fresh valve seats, and anything else recommended, but I thought maybe I should switch gears, go edlebrock heads, a comp cam... im not looking to make huge power but closer to 400 would be good. Anyway, that leads me to the cruiseomatic. I have been reading about changing the COM for a c6, changing engine mounts, moving the cross member back, some people say shorter drive shaft, she say it works, aside from kickdown, shift patterns, what would be a good donor trans. I been reading about 66 dual range on the 66. I found a c6 from a 67 428 bird (mine is a 390) will this be a good candidate? I was reading further that flexplate may be wrong and I dont want to buy a donor, have it rebuilt, only to find out I wasted that time and money for it to not work out. I feel more lost than when I started reading. Mine is a stock 64 390 com. Thanks for any help anyone may have on this heavily discussed topic
1964 thunderbird currently under major changes
Billekid

Re: 1964 bird transmission

Post by Billekid »

Would a c6 from a 69 galaxy with a 390 be more proper donor?
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

The flexplate is the big ring gear that attaches to the engine, it isn't part of the transmission.

The only thing different about the C6 in the 1967 and the C6 in a 1966 Thunderbird is that Ford changed the 1966 C6 to drive with the shift lever in the second drive position to match the old MX. It was a stupid idea to make the first dot start in 2nd gear, and the second dot to start in 1st gear, and in 1967 they chucked that idea, which required a change to the valve body.

I wanted a shift kit installed in my car, and they didn't make one for the 1966 valve body, so I had it swapped for a 1967+ valve body. Now my car is a little different than most 1966 thunderbirds in that it drives normal (1st-2nd-3rd) with the pointer on the first dot. If you are willing to live with that difference, then the C6 from a 1967 428 will work fine.

You will need a newer flex plate from a 390 and a newer starter motor, but those are not hard parts to find.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
vince

Post by vince »

Actually, for snow and rain states, starting in second gear is sometimes the best way to launch these beasts. Still is for newer cars too but too many drivers can only use their right foot to get a car moving.
'66 Convertible, 428, in progress
Billekid

Post by Billekid »

Thank you for your reply guys, I appreciate the responses. Sp If you were about to go between these 2 trans, which one would you choose? The one out of the 428 is about 300 more, since everything is crazy priced now a days, and I think they are both floor shift trans, arethesedeal breakers, I'd imagine a little fanagling would get either one to work. I am just unsure which would be better, or if it even matters. Thank you again guys.
Billekid

Post by Billekid »

Jtschug, flexplate. Is equivalent of a flywheel if im not mistaken, and thank you for reassuring me the 428 c6 will work, im just curious about the 390 69. I believe I need a 184 tooth flexplate that can be found relatively simple. I believe the 428 is externally balanced so I'll have to make sure I get a neutral balance flexplate if I pull the trigger on that one, correct? ThankS again, I really hate wasting money, especially since I got about 12k in parts tied up atm
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

Yes, for a 390 a neutral balanced flexplate is what you want. It is equivalent to a flywheel on a manual, but it is much simpler part for an automatic.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
Billekid

Post by Billekid »

Sounds good. Appreciate it man