how to open the shifter lamp housing?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

ornithology

how to open the shifter lamp housing?

Post by ornithology »

this is the shift indicator lamp housing, with the burnt bulb hidden inside.

how do you replace the bulb inside?
do you pry off the end piece with the diffuser on it, or pry it off from the mounting base?

was looking to replace the housing as well, as the wire has stripped, and it shorts out.
but i haven't found one, not even a photo or part listing anywhere online.

have you seen one?
reckon i can re-wire it, as long as i don't break it while trying to open it!

nothing in my shop manual about this even existing...
ICON 1956

Re: how to open the shifter lamp housing?

Post by ICON 1956 »

Looking at your picture, I would assume you have to pull up ward to remove the metal canister. I'm seeing two clips on the back side that keep the metal canister in place.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
orthodoc

Post by orthodoc »

I believe that is correct. You pull up on the canister to expose the bulb base. As far as finding the part, I had trouble with mine shorting as well and was never ever able to source even a used one. I resoldered a new wire into the old bulb base and it has worked great. Hopefully it’ll last another 60 years
1963 Thunderbird Roadster Convertible
"Rangoon Red"
ornithology

Post by ornithology »

thanks guys, you were exactly right.

indeed, a couple of my trusted sources did not have one in immediate inventory, nor did they have much knowledge about it. i considered raiding a salvage column in my area, but now i can restore this one.

pretty small potatoes, considering other things on my list, but i'm getting the horn and column back online, so here we are!
i'm excited to see that indicator light up for the first time in my tenure.

i'm overdue for a parts catalog - i'm curious if anyone sees a parts number, the two big shop manuals i've seen don't mention it, even though they note other instrument lights.
mrivera

Post by mrivera »

Does anyone have any idea of where to get one of these shift indicator lamps. Mine is completely destroyed.
ThunderJoe717

Post by ThunderJoe717 »

It looks like the part number is 13a808 or 15a808