'63 76B instrument panel bulb replacement?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

SRKILB8

'63 76B instrument panel bulb replacement?

Post by SRKILB8 »

The instrument panel bulb above the LIGHTS switch is out. How does one replace the bulb and with what?
ICON 1956

Re: '63 76B instrument panel bulb replacement?

Post by ICON 1956 »

On my 61 I was able to reach above the steering coloum when I slid the steering wheel /coloum all way to the right. exposed a gap I was able to place my hand inside the cluster. I was able to change all the light bulbs. I does take time just feeling the bulbs are placed. I did one at a time.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Karl

Post by Karl »

G'day.
If you remove the clock, this can give you a lot of access to the rear of the dash.
From memory there is only one screw at the bottom of the clock.
Karl
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
MN63Tbird

Post by MN63Tbird »

Karl you are right about removing the clock to gain access. From the left side you can remove the fuel/temp gauge unit with the same technique. That will expose a ring of lights on the back side it and provide access to the speedometer lights. In either case pull the battery or pull the fuses at the fuse box to the right of the passenger foot-well for the clock or fuel gauge unit and the dash lights beforehand so as not to accidentally short out the units or the lights.

MN63
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
1966 Mustang Coupe A code
SRKILB8

Post by SRKILB8 »

THANKS!

There were sure to be experienced T-birders out there.

A great winter project.

Dick
SRKILB8

Post by SRKILB8 »

Follow up question:

I was able to replace all the bulbs thanks to replies to my original post. However, the door courtesy lights no longer turn on when the doors are opened. They do illuminate when the light switch is turned full right. That tells me that the fuse and switch grounds are good. Does anybody know what wire might have come disconnected while replacing the bulbs?