New Project...Questions about original equipment

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

onepyramid

New Project...Questions about original equipment

Post by onepyramid »

About to purchase a new project, but have some questions about originality...

E7FH172544
40 QE XJ 20M53 0096P

I decode this fine, but shouldn't an E-code engine be dual 4V set-up? This car has singe 4V and original single carb air cleaner. Did some E code cars come with the singe 4V carb?

No soft top, or frame for said, in this car. Did all cars come with soft tops, or were some just outfitted with hardtop?

Thanks, in advance, for your consideration.
voltron

Re: New Project...Questions about original equipment

Post by voltron »

All E cars came with 2 x 4 barrel carbs. Some one removed the E set up over the years. The T-Birds could come with only the convertible top, or only the hard top, or with both tops, depending on how it was ordered.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

It seems somebody switched the manifolds from a dual to a single, This happened to a member her father's had a E code. She asked the same question when she got it back. BTW my 56 came only with a soft top and a tonneau cover according to the build sheet I have.
Here's a few pictures of the E Code with out the twin chrome cover and with the twin chrome top
Attachments
1957-ford-thunderbird-e-code-.jpg
1957-ford-thunderbird E code.jpg
1957-ford-thunderbird E code.jpg (34.12 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
Last edited by ICON 1956 on Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

As is often the case, a single 4-barrel will run as well/better than 2x4 and is simpler to tune. However, multiple carburetors do look impressive. Hopefully, the E-code valley pan is still on the engine. You might want to look for the correct E-code manifold, carburetors, and air cleaner in case you ever want to show the car/sell it.
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

With mention of the special e-code valley pan, there is a man that reproduces them, I think using a stock D code pan.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

Never would have known there was a difference, but why? What's the difference?
VTCI # 13223
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

Difference is required because the bottom of the intake is lower and will hit the standard valley pan. I too have modified a couple to make standard one's work.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
Jimntempe

Post by Jimntempe »

Joe Johnston wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:37 am Difference is required because the bottom of the intake is lower and will hit the standard valley pan. I too have modified a couple to make standard one's work.
What's needed besides a hammer?
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

If memory serves, a few years ago Ted Eaton, Lorena Tx., was manufacturing E code valley pans.
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

I wouldn't start hammering on your valley pan to provide clearance for a 2x4 intake manifold. The stock valley pans are prone to leakage. It doesn't take much to bend/deform one. Simply removing/installing it without removing a cylinder head can bend it, if you're inexperienced/not careful.
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

For precisely that reason (warpage) I installed aluminum valley pans from John Mummert on both of my Y Blocks. Didn't have to remove a head to either remove the old one or install the new one on one of the cars, the other went on when I rebuilt the engine.. No more leaks. Painted the correct color, hard to notice that it is not the stock one, but the oil fill tube is at a different angle..

55blacktie wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:56 pm I wouldn't start hammering on your valley pan to provide clearance for a 2x4 intake manifold. The stock valley pans are prone to leakage. It doesn't take much to bend/deform one. Simply removing/installing it without removing a cylinder head can bend it, if you're inexperienced/not careful.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

I bought an aluminum valley pan from acecustoms.com. I had a difficult time communicating with them to place my order, due to covid lockdown in New Zealand. However, I am pleased with my purchase, but haven't installed it. I did do a pre-fit test by laying it down between the heads; no problem. It's polished/w fins to match dress-up valve covers, and the price was right. They're good people to work with, once you reach them. The ETA was 21 days, but it arrived within 2 weeks. The exchange rate is favorable as well.
tnswt12

Post by tnswt12 »

For valuation purposes, I would think you would want to seek out the E parts and reinstall.

Granted the 2x4 carbs come with lots of baggage about reliability, but my E car performs beautifully with double carburation. I just can't imagine it any other way.
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

The tea pot carbs are good carbs, but they have their own oddities. I suggest to others that they be rebuilt by some one who really knows these carbs. There are a couple of re-builders who are very good in doing a rebuild.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312