Oversized replacement for interior door handle cups?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

RandyBird

Oversized replacement for interior door handle cups?

Post by RandyBird »

A few months ago I saw that somebody was selling what looked to be replacement cups for the interior door handles/armrests. The picture looked like the new cup fit into the armrest, but had a larger lip that covered an inch (?) or so of the top of the armrest around the cup. I assume this is intended to cover rips in the corners of the upholstery around the cup.
I put the link to the product in a *good* place, and can't find it.
Has anybody else seen the product?
Thanks!
1965 Special Edition that is becoming a long-term restoration project . . .
georgemii

Re: Oversized replacement for interior door handle cups?

Post by georgemii »

Speaking from my ‘65 hardtop:

- some of the cups are taller on the outboard side; something less than an inch
difference; seems to me that would disappear behind the faux chrome on
door panel, I.e.: upholstery would look the same.

- Pat Wilson sells a metal cover, which I’ve used. These straddle from cup to
inside of door panel; approx. 6” wide; paint to match. Cover deterioration/
cracks on top side, inboard of cup.

Hope this helps; can send pix.
JamesR

Post by JamesR »

I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but I've taken a picture of one of the things I ordered from Pat Wilson's about a year ago, but have never put on my car. I just checked at Wilson's and don't see them for sale now.

I seem to recall that I thought they were actual cup inserts before I ordered them...as you did...but learned when they arrived they are in fact reinforcements for the cup area for the door panel, which is notorious for becoming tattered and worn. I hope that I'm talking about the same product that you're referring to.

I love Wilson's...they are the best T-Bird vendor, in my opinion, but I was disappointed in the product when it arrived. Not only was it not a cup as I expected, but it was made somewhat crudely for the price I paid, which I think was $30 or more. They came in a pair. I included a straight edge in the photo so you could see what I mean. It's made of metal, so it will last and provide plenty of reinforcement, but from what I can tell it's meant to be a purely utilitarian repair for a damaged handle area of a door panel and will provide little cosmetic repair. If you plan to recover your panel with vinyl somehow, maybe the reinforcement could be hidden underneath and look okay.

I decided not to use mine, but I'm keeping them because I haven't been able to find the replacement aftermarket panels...all vendors are out of stock. So, I may resort to repairing my original panels. The aftermarket panels have a reputation for being problematic too, but Nick at Vintage Thunderbird Repair on youtube has a great video on getting them to work in spite of the problems. Best wishes.
Attachments
65doorpanelhandle.JPG
scumdog

Post by scumdog »

Any update on this product?
I'd bee keen on purchasing a pair for my '66 Landau.
Kiwi Thunderbirder
'66 Town Landau
'55 F100
'37 Ford coupe
'64 Anglia
'05 Ultraglide Classic
JamesR

Post by JamesR »

scumdog wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:07 am Any update on this product?
I'd been keen on purchasing a pair for my '66 Landau.
If the OP is talking about the same things that I ordered, I'd say don't bother. They have the look of a junior high school metal shop class project...one that the student received a C+ grade on. With rudimentary tools you could make something out of 18 GA metal yourself and it would look better. If you could cover it in vinyl and trim the edges with piping somehow maybe you could hide the crude construction...it wouldn't look original, though.