add a 3x2 intake

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

methos76

add a 3x2 intake

Post by methos76 »

i have a 66 t-bird and was thinking about topping off the stock 390 with a stock 3x2 intake, I don't plan on running it hard just want a different look. will the intake and carbs clear when hood is closed, asking cause the intake is 500 and I don't want to waste the money if it wont fit
Alan H. Tast

Re: add a 3x2 intake

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Are the carb bases level with the manifold or stair-stepped? If they're level like the T-bird manifold should be, you should be OK as long as your air cleaner filter isn't over 2-inches tall. Stair-stepped = no-go. Then you'd still need to hunt down carbs, linkage, fuel log, etc.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
methos76

Post by methos76 »

ok thank you
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

Yes, if you get a T-bird 3x2 from the ‘62-63 M-code, it will fit in a ‘64-66. Other 3x2 Fords do not fit.

Of course with any modification, some adjustments may be needed to get it to work perfectly. Factory original restoration is easier because when things don’t fit it is usually because some part isn’t quite right. Finding good NOS parts gets more difficult and expensive every year, so there is a trade off.

The $500 manifold is just the tip of the iceberg. Expect to spend more than $1500 before you are done. If it is a used manifold make sure to check it for stripped threads before you install it. Helicoils are easier to put in on the bench.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
64ZCODE

Post by 64ZCODE »

Alan H. Tast wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:59 pm Are the carb bases level with the manifold or stair-stepped? If they're level like the T-bird manifold should be, you should be OK as long as your air cleaner filter isn't over 2-inches tall. Stair-stepped = no-go. Then you'd still need to hunt down carbs, linkage, fuel log, etc.
Hey Alan, I'm curious about your "stair-stepped" comment. On my '64, the carb spacer is wedge shaped so that the carb itself sits level, which I assume means that the mating surface of the stock intake manifold is itself sloped. Is that what you mean by "stair-stepped"?

Doug
1964 TBird Hardtop
1974 Porsche 914 2.0
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

The other Ford FE Tri-power intake manifold, that I think was made for the Galaxie, has the front carb lower than the middle and the middle lower than the rear, but each carb mounts on it's own plane so that the carburetors sit more vertically, while on a T-bird manifold, all three carburetors mount to a single slanted plane.

Does that make sense? It is hard to describe in words, but if you saw them next to each other, the "stair step" description would clearly apply to one but not the other.
Livermore, CA
methos76

Post by methos76 »

jtschug wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:06 pm The other Ford FE Tri-power intake manifold, that I think was made for the Galaxie, has the front carb lower than the middle and the middle lower than the rear, but each carb mounts on it's own plane so that the carburetors sit more vertically, while on a T-bird manifold, all three carburetors mount to a single slanted plane.

Does that make sense? It is hard to describe in words, but if you saw them next to each other, the "stair step" description would clearly apply to one but not the other.
the one I was looking at was a step intake not the level one for t-birds. thank you now I don't have to spend that money
64ZCODE

Post by 64ZCODE »

jtschug wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:06 pm The other Ford FE Tri-power intake manifold, that I think was made for the Galaxie, has the front carb lower than the middle and the middle lower than the rear, but each carb mounts on it's own plane so that the carburetors sit more vertically, while on a T-bird manifold, all three carburetors mount to a single slanted plane.

Yes it does. Thanks!
1964 TBird Hardtop
1974 Porsche 914 2.0
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

methos76 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:25 pm

the one I was looking at was a step intake not the level one for t-birds. thank you now I don't have to spend that money
Honestly, I think you are better off. Tri-power can be a huge PITA. You can get an oval air cleaner that fits the 4-barrel and it will give you 80% of the look you want.
Livermore, CA
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Galaxie "stair-step" manifold. Manifold has carbs higher at rear in full-size car as engine is tilted downward toward rear - this allows carbs to sit level.
Galaxie "Stair-Step" tripower manifold-carbs
Galaxie "Stair-Step" tripower manifold-carbs
T-bird "flat" manifold. Manifold has carbs level as engine sits level in a T-bird. There's also a port under the center carb for the PCV tube fitting - the full-size car manifold doesn't have that.
T-bird "Flat" tripower manifold-carbs
T-bird "Flat" tripower manifold-carbs
The factory 4-barrel manifold has the carburetor base at an angle for full-size cars: a tapered spacer that's thinner at the rear than the front levels the carb out for use in a T-bird.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster