Brake booster vacuum pump

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

jtschug

Brake booster vacuum pump

Post by jtschug »

I finished the install, and it looks like it was made to go there. Huge improvement in braking. I was disappointed by 4 wheel discs, but this was the improvement I needed. 10 inches is not enough vacuum for the booster.
Attachments
A45AB1BB-C3C1-4092-9B20-395621764A7D.jpeg
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
stubbie

Re: Brake booster vacuum pump

Post by stubbie »

That looks like a nice pump setup. There is a pump made by Hella I think that is used in Volvo's and BMW's I was thinking of trying. Could possibly pick one up from wreckers.
Hella.jpg
Hella.jpg (8.41 KiB) Viewed 2040 times
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

It is the same pump. GM also used them on some cars.

I could have done this cheaper than buying the Leeds bandit kit, but it came with a really nice bracket and it was worth it to me to avoid fabricating something because I'm in a smaller house now and I got rid of a lot of my fabrication stuff so it would have been difficult. With the kit I had it installed in a couple hours.
Livermore, CA
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Wow $379 for that kit.
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

It comes with the pump, vacuum switch, relay wire harness and bracket. I priced it all out and figured the bracket was about $120. For me it was worth it, but if I was younger and better equipped, I would have built it myself
Livermore, CA
mitch0537

Post by mitch0537 »

Very nice. I'm expected to have 10 - 11 inches at idle according to Edelbrock. Any lower and the fuel injection wouldn't work ideal. So I'm probably going to need one as well. The only place where I have any room is where the battery was. (Now in the trunk).