1955 TBird Swing Arm Questions

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Florida_Phil

1955 TBird Swing Arm Questions

Post by Florida_Phil »

I wish to remove the soft top swing arm assembly from my 1955 Thunderbird. Can I leave the top up without the swing arm? The soft top is connected to the swing arm with two pins on each side. Are these pins difficult to remove? Any tips?
55blacktie

Re: 1955 TBird Swing Arm Questions

Post by 55blacktie »

Phil, it sounds like you're trying to gain a bit more space behind the seat.

I went through the CTCI Restoration Manual, but could not find anything that will help you. However, I seem to recall having read somewhere that the purpose of the swing arm is to facilitate raising and lowering the soft top, but that the swing arm isn't absolutely necessary, just a convenience, but it may also help reduce the risk of damaging the top when installing/removing. Again, I recommend that you attempt to contact Gil Baumgartner for a definitive answer. As you know, the swing arm assembly is mounted to the four studs that were spot-welded to the underside of the body, before the body was mounted to the chassis. What I don't know is if all of the cars have those four studs, considering the soft top was an option.

I think if you contact Marvin or Tim Hill (Hill's Thunderbird), either of them should also be able to answer your question. They are good about replying to email inquiries, having helped me on several occasions.
thessler

Post by thessler »

Yes you can take the pins out and leave the top up. You will need to replace the pins once the swing arm is out, they hold everything together. No it is not difficult.
Tom
Florida_Phil

Post by Florida_Phil »

Thanks for your replies. My car was built with a soft top and the swing arms. When the soft top is up, the swing arm assembly limits the backward tilt of the seat. This puts the driver in an almost upright position. Being a tall person, I would like the seat to tilt back farther like it does when the top is down.
1957Birdman

Post by 1957Birdman »

This is an interesting thread. I have never heard of someone having problems with the swing arm when the top is up. Mostly tall people (I am 6' 2") complain about the top restricting the backward travel of the seat limiting leg room when the top is down and stowed behind the seat. I would look first to see what is restricting the seat causing it to be too upright. In my opinion what you are thinking of doing only works if you intend to keep the top up all the time and never want to put it behind the seat if you ride with the top down. One last thing is that reinstalling the swing bar is not as easy as it may seem at first glance. I speak from experience on that point.
Good luck whatever you decide.
Lew Bachman
1957 Colonial White
Florida_Phil

Post by Florida_Phil »

When my soft top is up, my seat back rearward tilt was restricted by the ends of the swing arm where it connected to the top at the pins on both sides. I was able to disconnect the swing arm by removing the pins on both sides. I left the swing arm in the car resting on the floor in case I want to reconnect it. This gave me about an inch more reward seat tilt. Doesn't sound like much, but it makes a big difference for a 6' driver like me.