Engine

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Allans

Engine

Post by Allans »

My 57 has a 1978 302 in it. I am currently changing the timing chain. When I undid the front motor mount. The engine moved to passenger side 3 inches. Had to put a sciccor jack on the frame to push it back. I have limited experience with v8 motors. What do you think caused that to happen.
T-Bird Bob

Re: Engine

Post by T-Bird Bob »

Hello Allans,
The reason is that the ford Y-block and the ford small block (221, 260, 289, 302, 351) have completely different engine mount concepts.
The Small block has two front-side mounts on the engine block and one rear mount on the rear of the transmission.
The Y-block (original to the T-bird) has one front mount in front of the block under the crank pulley, a rear mount under the transmission and two side stabilizers left and right to reduce tilting motion of the engine.
Here is a picture from the CASCO catalogue:
enginemount.jpg
Here is my guess what happened:
The person that installed the 302 in your T-bird omitted the side stabilizers and used front and rear mount only. (I am curious how he fabricated a front mount for a Small Block because the timing chain housing is aluminum and probably not made for supporting the engine.) Since front and rear mounts are fairly wide, they can prevent some tilting but will wear out fast if the stabilizers are missing.

Some pictures would be nice.

Here is the best solution in my opinion:
Fforget the front mount and reproduce some engine mount brackets on the frame that adapt the 302's own engine mount points (the rear one is fine).
You might have to weld serious iron to the frame, but might get away with bolting it on.

Now this is only true if I understand you correctly regarding the currently used setup. If it is different, we need pictures.

Good luck,

Bob
55blacktie

Re: Engine

Post by 55blacktie »

Replacing a Y-block engine with a 302 SBF is somewhat common. You might want to post your question on The H.A.M.B and Ford Barn. Hopefully, you can connect with someone who has done it correctly.