Headlight Adjustment Nut

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

claybreaker 144

Headlight Adjustment Nut

Post by claybreaker 144 »

I recently dismantled a pair of headlight buckets to restore and broke two of the nuts that the headlight adjustment screws go into. I have several extra headlight buckets that I could harvest the nut from but looking at the broken parts from the one I dismantled they look like single use only parts.
Anyone have an experience with these (removing and reuse of the nut) they could share?
The only search results I found for this part was a post from Jim Wulf in 2013 where it looks like he acquired some of these and was looking for help identifying them.
Replacements are $15 each (crazy) at Tbird suppliers and the photos look to be a standard nylon replacement insert which is not the construction of the original. I did find a Mustang supplier (Auto Krafters) that has replacements for $2 each and they say they will fit 61-63 Tbirds, That will be the direction I will take if I can't reuse the ones from extra parts.
66 Elcamino
62 F100 Uni CVS
62 Tbird Hardtop M Code under restoration
55 Stude Next up
61 Tbird Convt Project
arunice

Re: Headlight Adjustment Nut

Post by arunice »

Yup, I have the experience. I converted my headlights to headlights that except H4 light bulbs. In doing so I had to modify the retaining rings. Well those adjuster screws were gummed up and the thin metal holding them snapped as I tried taking them out.

I went to the store, bought some new stainless machine screw and nuts. Fires up the cheap little fluxcore welder and slowly, successfully welded new nuts to those broken tabs.
Jim Wulf

Re: Headlight Adjustment Nut

Post by Jim Wulf »

claybreaker 144 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:03 pm I recently dismantled a pair of headlight buckets to restore and broke two of the nuts that the headlight adjustment screws go into. I have several extra headlight buckets that I could harvest the nut from but looking at the broken parts from the one I dismantled they look like single use only parts.
Anyone have an experience with these (removing and reuse of the nut) they could share?
The only search results I found for this part was a post from Jim Wulf in 2013 where it looks like he acquired some of these and was looking for help identifying them.
Replacements are $15 each (crazy) at Tbird suppliers and the photos look to be a standard nylon replacement insert which is not the construction of the original. I did find a Mustang supplier (Auto Krafters) that has replacements for $2 each and they say they will fit 61-63 Tbirds, That will be the direction I will take if I can't reuse the ones from extra parts.
I've never succeeded in removing those nuts and I've tried. They may have been installed with a special clinching tool or similar that prohibits removal without destruction. It looks to me like the all-nylon replacements sold by Macs (PART #: 66-71084-1) would work if they're the right size.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige