Seat belt light

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

lagovistatbird

Seat belt light

Post by lagovistatbird »

My seat belt light stays on when I start my car. What part is suppose to turn it off. Is it on the drivers side?
dgalietti

Re: Seat belt light

Post by dgalietti »

My 65 has a switch built in to the drivers belt buckle. I believe other years are different.
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

What year? The light control changed in some years.
Terry
64HT
lagovistatbird

Post by lagovistatbird »

My thunderbird is a 1966 hardtop. Thank you for helping.
john6t6

Post by john6t6 »

On my 66 Hardtop the light goes out when pull out the driver side buckle
1966 Hardtop Sauterne Gold
VTCI #4065
lagovistatbird

Post by lagovistatbird »

When I first got my bird the seat belt light would automatically turn off after about 30 seconds. I was told that because seatbelts were not required the seat belt light automatically turned off so as to not offend anybody or make them feel they were being told to do something.
lagovistatbird

Post by lagovistatbird »

I will ask again, does anyone know where the switch for the seatbelt light is on a 1966 hardtop?
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

There is no real switch, the seat belt detractors or the actual "Fasten Seat belt" indicator are the cancellation keys. The relay trigger is the switch.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
Burtman

Post by Burtman »

On my first '65 Thunderbird, the switch to turn off the Seat Belt warning light was in the light itself. That was a good feature which I wish the company had kept. Just push gently on the red lense and it would extinguish.

My subsequent two '65 Thunderbirds have had the switch in the seat belt retract unit. Wearing the seat belt is about the only way to have the light go out.

Somewhere in this forum someone did some schematic to make for under the console that would time out the light.

JB
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

I'm pretty sure that by 66 the light relay had a built in timer, there is nothing on the belt or retractor. The seat belt relay is on the left side of the steering column, a wiring diagram will tell you what you need to know.
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

I built a delay circuit for my 64 to turn the light off after 20 seconds. You had to tap the light lens to shut it off, annoying. I've got the schematic somewhere and can dig it up if you want it, but you can buy one one eBay for a few dollars. Search under "delay off timer 12 volt". I think the 64's and maybe early 65's had the tap to turn off.
Terry
64HT
TroublesChild

Post by TroublesChild »

The seat belt light on a 66 Tbird is controlled by a switch located in the drivers side seat belt retractor. The switch is a crank operated switch that shuts off as the belt is pulled out and is not serviced as a separate part. I have not tried removing one to try to repair it but sometimes they have just jumped out of place and the colored cover on the seat belt can be removed and it repositioned to work.
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

The seat belt light on a 66 Tbird is controlled by a switch located in the drivers side seat belt retractor.
Not for the entire model year. The light was controlled by a timer/relay in later builds. http://automotivemileposts.com/tbird196 ... inder.html
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Heat

Post by Heat »

I might as well jump in. On my 66, the switch is located under the dash on the left side of the steering column. i found the part Auto Parts Obsolete (.com). The part is listed as 1966 ford/mustang seatbelt warning relay Tung-Sol 673 #C6AB-10B924-C, same as on our cars. The cost I believe was $25.00, 3 years ago. Some of our members have the skill set to refurbish the relay, Check for related posts. Connected, the light automatically goes out in about 30 seconds after starting the car. It's a thermal type relay. Good luck.
paulr

Post by paulr »

Terry64HT wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:51 pm I built a delay circuit for my 64 to turn the light off after 20 seconds. ...I've got the schematic somewhere and can dig it up if you want it... Search under "delay off timer 12 volt"
Terry
64HT
Thanks for this idea, Terry. During daylight hours I never notice that light--it stays on for hours sometimes. Drives me mental. I gave a quick look for that info via Amazon without success. But, being a working stiff I ran short on time. If you have any further help, you'd be doing a real solid. I'll owe ya. :)
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson