Replacing clutch

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

ranchbird

Replacing clutch

Post by ranchbird »

Well I got my 56 up in the air checking out the situation what needs to be done to get at the clutch. Reading through the shop manual they make it sound fairly easy (yea right) but it looks like it can be done. I have an O.D so the only way I can see to slide the tranny back is to remove the governor and the solenoid to make room and drop the crossmember oh yea pull the shifter out which I've had out before to rebuild it, luckily I have the carpet and seat out already from doing other work tach cable gas gauge etc.. From what I can tell this is the biggest problem moving the tranny back far enough to get the clutch and pressure plate off of the input shaft then the rest is pretty straight forward spin the bellhousing up side down and drop it out then the fly wheel. I'm determined not to pull the motor so that's not an option. Another option would be to pay around $1800-$2000 to have a local shop very highly rated that only works on older classic cars do it, any thoughts .
Attachments
P1030535.JPG
Joe Johnston

Re: Replacing clutch

Post by Joe Johnston »

From here I say do it yourself. You have a great start 1) you have the Shop Manual and have even read it!! 2) the car is up off the floor. Study everything and think the process through and may want a cheap Harbor Freight transmission jack if you don't have one, but give it a go! Don't hurry and work safely.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
CSPIDY

Post by CSPIDY »

The motor will have to be supported to remove the cross member and rear mount. Using a jack will enable you to lower the rear of the motor to give a little more room.
I do like the home made wheel supports.
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA
ranchbird

Post by ranchbird »

Good point, I'm in the process of moving the transmission back, I have removed everything from the tranny including the crossmember so it has room to move back , looks like I will have about 6" of room. Like you said I have a scissor jack with a block of wood supporting the rear of the motor. This has been the hardest part of this whole thing, after the trans is moved back the rest is pretty straight forward. If this was a standard 3spd not with overdrive it would be so much easier.
ranchbird

Post by ranchbird »

This may a dumb question but when I pulled the speedometer cable out of the tranny the plastic gear stayed in so I pulled it out and stuck it back in the end of the cable until I'm ready to put it back in, So my question is when I'm done with the clutch and putting things back together do I put the gear into the tranny and then put the cable end over it and push it into the tranny or put the gear in the cable and put it in as one unit. I haven't felt around in the speedometer hole to see how the gear goes in. Could it possibility go in to far and fall inside or does it go in so far and stop.
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

Put the gear on the cable first and then stick it into the trans
ranchbird wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:53 pm This may a dumb question but when I pulled the speedometer cable out of the tranny the plastic gear stayed in so I pulled it out and stuck it back in the end of the cable until I'm ready to put it back in, So my question is when I'm done with the clutch and putting things back together do I put the gear into the tranny and then put the cable end over it and push it into the tranny or put the gear in the cable and put it in as one unit. I haven't felt around in the speedometer hole to see how the gear goes in. Could it possibility go in to far and fall inside or does it go in so far and stop.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

Isn't there a "C" type of clip holding the gear on the end of the cable? If so it can only be done one way.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

63SR Silver Mink
ranchbird

Post by ranchbird »

There is no clip holding the gear in like most cables, that's why I wasn't sure .
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

The clips were used starting in 1957 when Ford went to a different style.
Joe Johnston wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:32 am Isn't there a "C" type of clip holding the gear on the end of the cable? If so it can only be done one way.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

The clips were used starting in 1957 when Ford went to a different style.
Joe Johnston wrote: ↑Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:32 am
Isn't there a "C" type of clip holding the gear on the end of the cable? If so it can only be done one way.
I have a 57 and explains why I was thinking about the clip. Thank you. J

63SR Silver Mink
ranchbird

Post by ranchbird »

Well I have successfully removed the clutch/pressure plate and flywheel without pulling the motor guess the old shop manual was right, took the flywheel in to be resurfaced once I get it back will see if I can get it all back together.
seany-boy

Post by seany-boy »

good to hear you have been successful. Always good for someone else to be our test lab and try these things b4 we need to do so. I also have a OD transmission(57) so very keen to see you succeed.
Red 57 Thunderbird 312 3spd O/D
voltron

Post by voltron »

Seany-boy

It won't be as easy or it may not be possible with an O/D transmission because a '57 bird doesn't have a removeable cross member. I would call around
and see if anyone has done it. A regular 3 speed can be pulled back far enough but the O/D trans is said to hit the floor pan before it can be pulled back enough to be removed.
ranchbird

Post by ranchbird »

I was able to get it all back together today, the old clutch disc was down to the rivets and the throw out bearing was shot. In order to get the trans. back far enough I had to take the O.D solenoid and the governor off, on the 56 there is a removable plate on the trans. tunnel to pull out the governor after you un screw it, the solenoid can be removed from underneath. Also disconnected the shift levers from the transmission and pulled out the entire shifter mechanism in one piece through the floor. Disconnected the speedo cable, the O.D cable would of been a pain to disconnect on the tranny so I removed the O.D handle and bracket from the dash and pushed the slack through the fire wall so it would move with the tranny, disconnected the trans mount, left the cross member in place no reason to take it out since it sits below the x frame, removed the 4 bolts from the trans then jacked up the tail housing of the trans till the trans mount was above the x frame and pushed it back where it sat on its own. The rest was pretty straight forward, un bolted the bell housing and slid it back and left it while I removed the pressure plate clutch and flywheel. It actually went back together easier than taking it apart.
Florida_Phil

Post by Florida_Phil »

My 1955 TBird has a manual transmission with O/D. I attempted to remove the transmission with the engine in place. Like you discovered, the transmission input shaft will not clear the bellhousing. Removing the O/D solenoid and the shifter did not solve the problem. The shop manual says to loosen the bellhousing like you described in your post. This is not easy and you still have to deal with the clutch linkage. I don't know why everyone is so reluctant to remove the engine from these cars? Removing the engine and transmission as a unit from little TBirds is not difficult. The hardest part is realigning the hood. You can avoid this by drilling 1/8" alignment holes in your hood hinges before you remove it. I can remove and replace the engine in my car in six hours and I don't have to disassemble the transmission to do it.