Still suffering from hard brake pedal

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

pops

Still suffering from hard brake pedal

Post by pops »

I have had a hard brake pedal for years. Finally saved up for a rebuilt Booster ($700). I have confirmed the check valve is working and have fluid in the master cylinder. I was told to bleed the booster first. Upon starting the car and cracking open the bleeder on the booster I find that nothing is coming out of the bleed valve when pushing on the brake pedal. The pedal feels a little different since installing the booster but it remains hard and again, no brake fluid is coming out of the open bleeder valve. Can someone help me out?
Joe Johnston

Re: Still suffering from hard brake pedal

Post by Joe Johnston »

Please post pictures of the booster, the master cyl, and the lines that connect them. Perhaps someone can see an issue.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
pops

Post by pops »

Here they are. The only item that I did not get with the rebuilt was the brass fitting that attaches to the brake line going to the front chamber of the master cylinder. I am including photos of it as well.
Attachments
IMG_4360.jpg
IMG_4361.jpg
IMG_4362.jpg
IMG_4363.jpg
IMG_4364.jpg
CSPIDY

Post by CSPIDY »

Have you tried bleeding the master cylinder?
I use a line from the out port bent so as to go back into the reservoir.
This would be a good starting point
Making sure you have flow and no air
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA
pops

Post by pops »

I'm getting brake fluid at the booster from the line going back to the front chamber of the master cylinder. And if I disconnect this line I get good fluid flow from the master cylinder.
David Tulowitzky

Post by David Tulowitzky »

Back in the 1970's I had a hard pedal on my `57 (no power brakes) and found it to be the vent on the master cylinder cap was damaged from the continuous use of pliers to remove the cap. The cap has a pin hole on the side of the wrench area. This is unlikely your problem, but it can happen.