New Member from Arizona

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

SilverBullet

New Member from Arizona

Post by SilverBullet »

I joined this group in hopes to bring my fathers 1963 Thunderbird Convertible, 3Y85Z143428, back to pristine condition. He has recently gone into Memory Care and I have taken over the vehicle. He is the original owner and I even have the original owners manual and Title from CA, switched to AZ in 1969.

For the most part, it is in FANTASTIC shape from afar. He has taken very good care of it. Right before he went into Memory Care, he invested about $8k into it, mechanically. Although I have no idea what for. One thing I noticed (thankfully as I put a trickle charger on it) was that the positive battery cable is black and the negative battery cable is red. So, already, I know I want to fix that.

There are a lot of minor flaws such as:

1. Cracked dashboard (welcome to Arizona, although the car is always garaged)
2. Power window switches are sunk down
3. Parking brake assembly is difficult to get my foot on it as the release lever is right on the foot peddle
4. Headlights work but are VERY dim
5. Dash lights works, but are VERY dim
6. AM Radio just has static
7. Clock does not work
8. In 1985, we purchased the cover to make it look like a two seater. However, whoever did the upholstery on it did a horrible job as it is very "bubbly".

I'd also love to put the Kelsey Hayes Wheels with thick white walls on this. However, I simply cannot afford Kelsey Hayes (Best price I saw was $7000 for 5 refurbished). Currently, it has the original hub caps with the thin white walls. Is there any aftermarket products available and what width should the white walls be?

So, I am looking for places to help fix/replace some of the above, either in Arizona or online. Any suggestions?

I am hoping to get this in tip-top shape before my father passes so he can see it one last time in the condition when he bought it.

Thanks!
63Bird.jpg
Cliff Rankin

Re: New Member from Arizona

Post by Cliff Rankin »

She is beautiful. I also have A 63 convertible, I will follow your posts. I’m not an expert , but let’s see what we can
Do. First small thing , it is a negative ground car. Check fix
Clean the connections. That should be an easy start.
That may fix a lot of lighting issues
Welcome to the form.
Cliff
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
6T3BRD

Post by 6T3BRD »

Hi, Also in Arizona here (Mesa) and I also have a '63 (mine is a Landau). I can comment on a few things on your list, the radio, clock, window switches and tires. I sent off my radio to S&M Electro-tech in Blaine MN http://www.turnswitch.com/services.htm and had them just restore my original radio to work properly. They also offer a service where you can modernize the radio and add things like USB, Aux input and Bluetooth while keeping the original appearance of your radio. As for the clock I had my original clock converted to a quartz movement by Instrument Services Inc. in Machesney Park IL https://www.clocksandgauges.com/quartz-conversion.html and it has been working perfectly for over 10 years. When your car was new it had Bias-ply tires and I going to just guess that most people go with Radial tires now and I have been getting 1" White Wall American Classic 215/75R14 Tires from Lucas Tire in Long Beach. They are around $177 apiece and I was in need of a new tire on my spare and discovered that the Hankook Optimo H724 also came in a 1" Whitewall 215/75R14 for only around $76 apiece, so if you find you like those that is a savings of $500 if you are replacing all the tires. Also the Hankooks are much more available and so would not have to be shipped in. As for the window switches you are going to have to remove the trim off the top of the console to get to the switches and you will see that each switch has a little metal clip on each end that holds the switch firmly into the switch holder and my guess is that those clips just need to be pushed in more firmly. Once you go in there and make sure everything is tight you can also use rubberized pliers to pull the switches up every so often because you don't want to have to take it apart all the time and it is my experience that they tend drop down with use over time. I just pull them up with the pliers every so often but you are going to want to go in there just to make sure all the clips are there and tighten everything up and you'll see how they are put together and then you'll understand what is going on..... If you need someone you can trust to give your car a look over and who knows our cars very well I would give Troy Westerman at Borne Customs in Tempe a call. His specialty is early 60's Lincoln Continentals and as you may or may not know the 61-63 Thunderbird was built on the same assembly line as the Lincoln using the same frame and many of the same parts (like the radio is identical except for the face plate). Anyway, he is exceptionally good and I absolutely trust him with my car. He works on many convertibles so if you are having any issues with that he's great. Borne Customs - 1129 Curry Rd. Suite 6, Tempe (480) 818-4207

~~Craig
1963 Corinthian White #2 Thunderbird Landau
1992 White Volvo 240DL
2015 Twighlight Blue Subaru Outback
SilverBullet

Post by SilverBullet »

Thank you so much for this info. Dad didn't use the internet much to research things. He mainly used Dottling (http://thunderbirdconn.com/) here in Phoenix, however, I am not even sure Dottling is still in business, plus, personally, I felt he was taking advantage of an old man.

I've seen the upgraded radio conversions, however, I really want to keep this original. Even though it doesn't really do much to the value, it's just a personal choice.

Your clock contact is golden. Dottling tried to fix it 4 times, charging each time. However, it never did work.

He currently has the Hankook tires on it, so I think we are good there.

I have watched some YouTube restoration videos. and noticed that the original floor mats had the T-Bird logo on them. Any idea where to get those? I need them in black.

Thanks again -- maybe I'll see you at a show somewhere. I am registered already for the https://www.concoursinthehills.org/ show in Feb. Wanting to get this thing in tip-top shape for this show.
Scott Scriver
Surprise, Az, USA
VTCI Member# 13007

1963 Convertible - Family owned since day one
My Father's VTCI # was 2941
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

unfortunately not many people are fixing car radios today, most places want to do the "upgrade conversion". I had the same problem with my AM radio, but as I had the time I did a lot of reading online and taught myself some basic radio repair. I've fixed a few car radios, it's often a bad transistor or a bias resistor, capacitors are commonly bad. You could search for antique radio groups and post online for someone near you that would fix yours. The parts don't cost much, it's finding someone that will do it for a reasonable price. Good luck, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
BobHH

Post by BobHH »

Great Car!! A few suggestions. Check out the Thunderbird businesses that support the VTCI for those floor mats, original parts etc. As for the Kelsey Hayes wheels, the original were 48 spoke and had issues with spokes breaking and such. If you plan to do any serious driving the T-bird shops have wire wheels that are just as nice and less expensive.

If you need some good tech advice and info try Jim Wulf's site "The Thunderbird Garage" Jim restored a 63 M code Sports Roadster and has plenty of pictures and how to articles on. He also frequents this site and is a walking encyclopedia on these birds!!!

Have fun and let us know if you need any help!!

Bob
Bob Harris
Strange 1962 Thunderbird SR?
Cliff Rankin

Post by Cliff Rankin »

Hey , why don’t you worry about the basics on the car and
Spend time with him in it. I did not get that chance with
My dad , when he’s gone he’s gone Does a few cracks in
The dash really matter ? It’s time and how you spend it. I hope you get in that car and take him to Vegas.
I reread your post and wish I still had that option
Best wishes.
Cliff
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
SilverBullet

Post by SilverBullet »

Unfortunately, with COVID, he is unable to be released from Memory Care. Otherwise, I absolutely would be spending time with him.

I find out tomorrow if I can at least see him. Hoping to bring his car and dinner to him this week.
Cliff Rankin wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:15 pm Hey , why don’t you worry about the basics on the car and
Spend time with him in it. I did not get that chance with
My dad , when he’s gone he’s gone Does a few cracks in
The dash really matter ? It’s time and how you spend it. I hope you get in that car and take him to Vegas.
I reread your post and wish I still had that option
Best wishes.
Cliff
Scott Scriver
Surprise, Az, USA
VTCI Member# 13007

SilverBullet

Post by SilverBullet »

Thanks so much for the very detailed response. Good to know I have an AZ connection! I have a show this Friday, but will be working on the switches this weekend. I also bought repro FoMoCo battery cables as well as engine compartment stickers that I will be putting on this weekend.

I will also most certainly check out Borne Customs. Dad had a different person he used that I will not name, but I, personally, thought their work was sub-par.
6T3BRD wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:14 am Hi, Also in Arizona here (Mesa) and I also have a '63 (mine is a Landau). I can comment on a few things on your list, the radio, clock, window switches and tires. I sent off my radio to S&M Electro-tech in Blaine MN http://www.turnswitch.com/services.htm and had them just restore my original radio to work properly. They also offer a service where you can modernize the radio and add things like USB, Aux input and Bluetooth while keeping the original appearance of your radio. As for the clock I had my original clock converted to a quartz movement by Instrument Services Inc. in Machesney Park IL https://www.clocksandgauges.com/quartz-conversion.html and it has been working perfectly for over 10 years. When your car was new it had Bias-ply tires and I going to just guess that most people go with Radial tires now and I have been getting 1" White Wall American Classic 215/75R14 Tires from Lucas Tire in Long Beach. They are around $177 apiece and I was in need of a new tire on my spare and discovered that the Hankook Optimo H724 also came in a 1" Whitewall 215/75R14 for only around $76 apiece, so if you find you like those that is a savings of $500 if you are replacing all the tires. Also the Hankooks are much more available and so would not have to be shipped in. As for the window switches you are going to have to remove the trim off the top of the console to get to the switches and you will see that each switch has a little metal clip on each end that holds the switch firmly into the switch holder and my guess is that those clips just need to be pushed in more firmly. Once you go in there and make sure everything is tight you can also use rubberized pliers to pull the switches up every so often because you don't want to have to take it apart all the time and it is my experience that they tend drop down with use over time. I just pull them up with the pliers every so often but you are going to want to go in there just to make sure all the clips are there and tighten everything up and you'll see how they are put together and then you'll understand what is going on..... If you need someone you can trust to give your car a look over and who knows our cars very well I would give Troy Westerman at Borne Customs in Tempe a call. His specialty is early 60's Lincoln Continentals and as you may or may not know the 61-63 Thunderbird was built on the same assembly line as the Lincoln using the same frame and many of the same parts (like the radio is identical except for the face plate). Anyway, he is exceptionally good and I absolutely trust him with my car. He works on many convertibles so if you are having any issues with that he's great. Borne Customs - 1129 Curry Rd. Suite 6, Tempe (480) 818-4207

~~Craig
Scott Scriver
Surprise, Az, USA
VTCI Member# 13007

6T3BRD

Post by 6T3BRD »

You're welcome and I'd like to see your car in person and perhaps share more info on where to proceed from here. I started at Dottings Thunderbird Connection when I was getting my car up and going around 2009 (I've owned it since 1994) and spend thousands there. Had to draw the line at a few instances that happened that were handled exceptionally poorly and now I just would not EVER spend one more dime there. I have done a lot of the work on my car myself and while I'm no expert have gained lots of knowledge from just doing research and getting in there and learning how things work. If you don't have a 1962-63 shop manual yet you'll need that for sure and make sure you get the '63 supplement because there's some essential info that was added after the larger manual was printed. The most reliable source for parts I have found is Bird Nest in West Linn, OR www.tbirdparts.com they are really great and helpful and I have found them to have most things in stock and the things they carry are of exceptional quality. Another place I have used extensively is Larry's Thunderbird & Mustang Parts in Corona, CA www.larrystbird.com They have a great inventory also and both of these places I have actually visited so I can recommend using them pretty much over anywhere else I have found. So I'd really like to see your car and meet you if you'd like that and so I sent you a private message with my contact information.....
1963 Corinthian White #2 Thunderbird Landau
1992 White Volvo 240DL
2015 Twighlight Blue Subaru Outback