Ipod in the AM radio

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

nbaum

Ipod in the AM radio

Post by nbaum »

I like to keep my cars as close to original as possible but I do like a to play the songs I love. I found a place that sells an adapter that lets you play your Ipod on your original AM radio with no modifications to the car. It works similar to many CD changers that use the FM band. All you do is plug this unit in to the antenna wire than plug the other end of the unit to the antenna port on the original AM radio and there is another connection to plug your Ipod into. You then turn your AM radio to 1000 or some station that is not broadcasting. The adapter senses the Ipod signal and sends the signal to the AM radio as if it was another AM station. I have bought the unit but not tried it as yet because my car is still all apart. Here's the link.
http://rediscoverradio.com/
2014 Corvette convertible
1993 Cadillac Allante factory hardtop Pearl Red
2016 Lexus RX350
1992 Cadillac Allante Bright red
1930 Ford model A Cabriolet
2005 Chevrolet SSR
Alan H. Tast

AM or FM Local Transmitter

Post by Alan H. Tast »

All well and good if you are in the middle of nowhere and don't have radio reception. In an area with a fair amount of AM and FM stations, though, IF you can find an open frequency without cross-chatter you're lucky. I've had very little luck with such transmitters in larger cities. If you can find a transmitter that will allow you to select a range of frequencies and find-tune to miss a station you may have a chance. The transmitter I have for my CD player will allow me to do that, but it's the type that you've got to plug into the cigarette lighter then fiddle with the tuning both on the receiver and on the transmitter.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
nbaum

Ipod in the AM radio

Post by nbaum »

Alan, According to the info sheet the unit disconnects the antenna when it gets a signal from the Ipod so even if there is a station on the 1000 band its no problem. We'll see. Once I get it running I'll let you know. I would try it on the bench but Mt speaker is original and almost totlaly gone. I need a new speaker first.
2016 Lexus RX350
2005 Chevrolet SSR
nbaum

Ipod in the AM radio

Post by nbaum »

Alan, You got me curious so I dug out a set of dual speakers that I removed from my SR after I bought it. I hooked up the radio with antenna and speaker. I hooked up the new system and plugged in the Ipod. I live in the suburbs of Chicago so I would expect if problems were to occur it would be her. Anyway once I located the right frequency I set it on one of the push buttons and it worked GREAT. I think I'am going to like this.
2016 Lexus RX350
2005 Chevrolet SSR