Waterless Wash

How to's when detailing your Thunderbird
eboose7

Waterless Wash

Post by eboose7 »

I just discovered a great product for maintaining my '56 Thunderbird. Washing a classic car with water creates the risk of rusting, especially in areas which are out of reach where water can collect unseen. My car is stored in a garage with a CarCapsule Showcase and driven for Sunday drives on warm, sunny days. Still, contaminants in the atmosphere can cause damage to the paint requiring washing to remove them, so I only use a waterless wash on my car. This time of the year, pollen is a big problem in the area where I live. I have used several waterless washes, but recently, I tried the Ammo Hoseless Wash and really like the way it works on my car. It also leaves a measure of protection on the paint. I like waterless washes in general, but like this one in particular. I am not being paid to say this. I just wanted to share a product that I think will help preserve the car I love. After all, we don't own these beautiful cars--we are just stewards.

Moved by moderator to a more appropriate section.
RAVEN

Re: Waterless Wash

Post by RAVEN »

OK, you have the hook in my mouth, and can feel you reeling me in!!!
WHAT IS A WATERLESS WASH?
How do you lift the soiled and fallout products that are all over your car without water to carry it in suspension?
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
SBurney

Re: Waterless Wash

Post by SBurney »

I know this topic is a couple of months old, but I’ll jump in anyway.

It’s not actually a waterless wash, but rather a rinse less wash. A product that I use for light dirt is Optimum No Rinse. Heavy dirt gets a full on 2 bucket wash in the driveway with Optimum Car Wash. Light/medium dirt gets a 2 bucket wash in the garage with ONR in the wash bucket. A microfiber mitt moderately wet with ONR solution making a single straight line pass over a part of the car before being rinsed in the second bucket & re-wet in the ONR bucket. When the whole car is washed it is then dried with microfiber towels-no rinsing and very little runoff on the garage floor. Very light garage dust and spot cleaning (like for bug guts) or touch ups is done with ONR in a spray bottle and multiple microfiber towels (like the yellow ones from Costco) so that once a part of the towel passes over the car it is not in contact with the paint again. There are a lot of you tube videos showing the technique.
Steve Burney
1965 Special Landau, originally purchased by my Grandmother. The only car she ever bought that
she thought was worth what she paid for it.
VTCI #12702
Thunderbird Registry #64708