Power steering conversion

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

TEABYRD

Power steering conversion

Post by TEABYRD »

Looking to convert my 1956 from manual to power steering. This old body can't fight the wheel anymore. Who makes the best kits and are there any rack and pinion options available? Any information would be welcome and greatly appreciated. Thank you
ICON 1956

Re: Power steering conversion

Post by ICON 1956 »

You should go to the Modified forum for what your asking, Members in the modified forum can help you.

Agree and moved! J
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Florida_Phil

Re: Power steering conversion

Post by Florida_Phil »

I am also considering making this modification to my 55 TBird. Solutions range from using stock parts, replacing the steering box and or column, electric conversions to installing rack and pinion. A friend of mine has a large range of stock power steering parts taken off Ford passenger cars. I do not know if passenger car parts will fit my TBird? If so, the price is right. I do not wish to cut my car or do anything that is not reversible. My car drives fine. I have custom wheels and larger than stock tires. This makes slow speed steering difficult. I am also concerned with resale value. I am sure my car would be worth more with power steering.

I have not had much luck obtaining information like this on this forum. I'm not sure why.