Jamco Lowering springs

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

dgalietti

Jamco Lowering springs

Post by dgalietti »

I haven't seen a lot of Info on Jamco lowering springs for 64-66 so I figured I would post what I found:

My car is a 65 with no AC.

My main reason for wanting to try these springs is easier install and hopefully slightly firmer ride. my stock springs were just ridiculously long and difficult to compress enough to get out.
Also, with taking a lot of weight off of the front end with aluminum I assume the ride height would come up.

My stock springs uncompressed: 20.5" good god that is a huge spring!

Jamco 1" Lowering springs for my car-

ID: 4.25"
Wire Size: .750"
Rate: 425 lbs/in
Free Length: 17.625"
Total Coil: 9.5

So these run almost 3" shorter uncompressed. That should make the install a LOT easier. Does anyone know how that compares to the stock spring rate? Also... has anyone actually used these that can report on them?

Thanks to Jorge at Jamco for getting me the info!

-David
dgalietti

Re: Jamco Lowering springs

Post by dgalietti »

Update:

The springs have arrived! Here are pics. And oh my god.. these are going to be soooo much easier to install! I will update again if I ever get this thing on the road again.

Also, I found this GM Van spring compressor that fits like it was made for our springs. If you can find one cheap.. get it!

-David
Attachments
1021191540.jpg
1021191540_HDR.jpg
1021191539a.jpg
1021191539.jpg
ClayBelt

Post by ClayBelt »

Got any more information on those? I’m contemplating using them myself
Privateer

Post by Privateer »

dgalietti wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:48 pm Update:

The springs have arrived! Here are pics. And oh my god.. these are going to be soooo much easier to install! I will update again if I ever get this thing on the road again.

Also, I found this GM Van spring compressor that fits like it was made for our springs. If you can find one cheap.. get it!

-David
I'd also be interested in a review of this spring compressor and some install pics using it and of course the after results would be great!
dgalietti

Post by dgalietti »

Hi Guys.

I got to the point where I was ready to paint the engine bay, wheel well area, and reinstall the suspension.. But then I ended up deciding to drill out and fabricate new shock tower reinforcements (they are behind the shock tower in the fender well area).

I should be done with that within a few weeks as I have time, and then I will update with the suspension install and some pictures.

If you are thinking of getting the Jamco springs, I would not hesitate. I definitely feel safer putting those in regardless.

I put my old springs in a vinegar bath just to see how they would turn out.. and they were a LOT more pitted and corroded than they appeared. Definitely not safe.

-David
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

dgalietti wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:29 pm
I put my old springs in a vinegar bath just to see how they would turn out.. and they were a LOT more pitted and corroded than they appeared. Definitely not safe.
Would love to see a photo of the results!
dgalietti

Post by dgalietti »

Sorry.. I could have sworn that I responded. I unfortunately threw the old ones away. I try to keep everything until the job is done... but man am I seriously running out of space!
dgalietti

Post by dgalietti »

Quick update..

Spring compressor was amazing. They went in much easier than the old ones came out. One important detail is that there was still plenty of length on the threads while it was uncompressed. So it isn't going to fire off like a bullet when you are loosening it and run out of threads.

The springs worked, and until I put a fender on I guess I cant say much. I suppose I will sit one one and take a picture when I get a chance so we can see the ride height.