ONE PIECE DOOR GLASS...

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

gravelman

ONE PIECE DOOR GLASS...

Post by gravelman »

Has anyone given up the vent windows for a one-piece door glass? I'm considering it and it looks like it would be
a matter of extending the bottom glass channel. To complete the shaved look we have removed the drip rails.
David the painter is showing me how the S.S. roof trim fit's into a channel so it's flush.

I think if you double click you can et a larger view...
D68DE2E6-4C40-4037-BB36-65E6490525E1_1_105_c.jpeg
Alan H. Tast

Re: ONE PIECE DOOR GLASS...

Post by Alan H. Tast »

gravelman wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:23 pm Has anyone given up the vent windows for a one-piece door glass? I'm considering it and it looks like it would be
a matter of extending the bottom glass channel. To complete the shaved look we have removed the drip rails.
David the painter is showing me how the S.S. roof trim fit's into a channel so it's flush.

I think if you double click you can et a larger view...

D68DE2E6-4C40-4037-BB36-65E6490525E1_1_105_c.jpeg
My only question is WHY? Having just taken a hot drive without A/C in my '63 Roadster, the vent windows were a God-send to get additional air blowing into the cabin. You'll need to fabricate or adapt a new front channel, and if keeping the frame around the glass (not knowing if you're removing the frame from the quarter glass) will need to fab/modify the glass from to cover the forward edge in order for that to seal against the roof/pillar rubber.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
gravelman

Post by gravelman »

Alan,

I appreciate your thoughts, but I'm doing what I want and that's the beauty of a restomod, and I have air conditioning...
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

Looks pretty sharp to me. For me, there's plenty of air through the big vents in the passenger compartment.

Can you provide any details on the drip channel removal? Mine have rust, but when I discussed shaving them off with a body shop, they strongly discouraged it, saying it was an involved (and expensive) process.

~Steve
gravelman

Post by gravelman »

Steve,

We agreed to a budget of $2,000 which included painting. I don't know the exact tally since the car will be coming home this Wednesday or Thursday so I'll have a better idea. I think it's a matter of experience and attitude... What is so cool is that the original S.S. roof trim now sits in a pocket so it's flush with the roof. I should have taken a picture today when we had it in place. Removing the drip rails was the final piece, we filled in the gas fill door, the front fender chrome trim recess, door handles, clean up the hood vent and make it functional and filled in the fender skirt recess.

Steve, I'll take some detailed pictures and see what my costs are...

Mitch
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

So, are you going with frameless side glass? Just wondering...
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
gravelman

Post by gravelman »

Steve,

I don't think so, although we haven't worked out the final details. One consideration the rear quarter window has a frame. I bought used electric vent windows, but this whole project has both escalated and I've back into a lot of it. It has a C6 trans with a Gear Vendor's electric overdrive, Posi 3,5:1 rear end and a 444 CID stroker with Tri-Power, Edelbrock Aluminum heads, Comp roller cam, Stan Johnson headers

Mitch
Richard

Post by Richard »

I have a 65 that is stock which I like but cant wait to see pics when yours is done. These Flairbirds really lend themselves for customizing..From what I see so far it is going to be so cool ..Did you put the gas fill inside the trunk now?
Also really like the grey color. Funny mine is called Charcoal Grey metallic but is almost blue.Been repainted real well by a previous owner. Its a one year color and what I understand is not many made that color, guess thats why only one year..Yours is a true grey and its gorgeous..Keep up the good work..
1965 Hardtop Charcoal Gray Metallic
VTCI#12157
gravelman

Post by gravelman »

Richard,

Thanks for the kudos... It's taken me 4 years to get to this point. The car had great lines, we just tweak them some. The crease/ridge line the length of the car has been sharpen some and is straight as an arrow... I changed out the gas tanks for '69' Mustang gas tank with the fill behind the license plate.

The Mercedes Mountain Grey is a pearl so depending on the light will change from light to dark color, it also enhances the lines of the car. Note the sleeves in the valance for 2.5" exhaust tips.

For a larger view double click on picture...
DE84E3AD-8EDC-4B1F-A9AC-4C4197F463EE_1_105_c.jpeg
Richard

Post by Richard »

Really like the behind the plate gas fill..The exhaust through the valance is cool too, like an omage to the babybirds..Nice...
1965 Hardtop Charcoal Gray Metallic
VTCI#12157
gravelman

Post by gravelman »

Richard,

I hadn't thought of that, good observation...

Thanks for the reply.
gravelman

Post by gravelman »

sseebart wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:38 am Looks pretty sharp to me. For me, there's plenty of air through the big vents in the passenger compartment.

Can you provide any details on the drip channel removal? Mine have rust, but when I discussed shaving them off with a body shop, they strongly discouraged it, saying it was an involved (and expensive) process.

~Steve
For larger view, double click on pic...

drip-removal3.jpg
roof_med.jpg
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

Thanks for the details. Beyond my skill level, but at least I know what to ask for. The final product is super clean--very jealous!

~Steve