Got my engine in finally! And need help..

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

dgalietti

Got my engine in finally! And need help..

Post by dgalietti »

Hi guys. , finally got my engine in!

It seems to be sitting a little bit too far forward though.. When I try to put in the shifter linkage that goes to the bracket on the bellhousing and then bolts to the frame.. It is not lined up.

My first thought is maybe the engine mounts are backwards? Is that even possible, and is there an easy way to check?

Thanks for all of the help!
-David
Attachments
0618201352_HDR.jpg
jtschug

Re: Got my engine in finally! And need help..

Post by jtschug »

Is that an Edelbrock streetmaster intake?

As far as fore-aft adjustment, is the transmission mount and crossmember hooked up? Where does it sit in its slots?

I don’t think it is possible to put the motor mounts in backwards, but you can jack up the engine and take them out.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

I also don't believe it's possible to put the mounts in backwards. Thought I had a photo of the mounts handy, but it's not on this computer. I'll see if I can dig it up. Can you post a photo of the misaligned linkage?

~Steve
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

Found this old vs. new photo from when I did my mounts some years ago. Hard to tell exactly, but there's a pin on the mount to help orient it during assembly. The open side of the "C" shape should face to the rear, if memory serves.

I would appear that if they were reversed, the engine would be about 2" too far forward.

~Steve
HPIM4696_zps35d3b5bb.JPG
dgalietti

Post by dgalietti »

Thanks steve. I will check the orientation and take some more pics.
Yes, its a streetmaster intake. I think it will work really well with the sniper EFI.
dgalietti

Post by dgalietti »

Ok.. Sorry to waste your time guys. I tried to put the bracket in today, and now it seems to line up a lot better. It looks a bit crooked, but I think I may be able to adjust the trans crossmeber to get it perfect right?

Here is a pic of the pass. Eng MT and the linkage.
Attachments
0620201121.jpg
0620201119.jpg