Button on passenger door

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Johnnyboy

Button on passenger door

Post by Johnnyboy »

I had a lot of my restoration work done by someone else several years ago, the car has since been in storage and 2 weeks ago ia finally got it to my house. It runs great and there are just some odds and ends to work on.

One of the is the door button on my passenger door. I went to open it, pushed the button in and it will not spring back out. I'm guessing I will have to take of the door panel to access this.Has anyone else had this problem?
Attachments
IMG_0292.JPG
IMG_0291.JPG
ICON 1956

Re: Button on passenger door

Post by ICON 1956 »

From what I see from your pictures, It seems that the button is not align with in the door handle housing. Did you try to use a plastic /wooden shim to realign the button. Also It could be that the spring is broken..
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

:n00b:

Yes - you'll have to take off the door panel and do some additional disassembly/reassembly to get to the latch button, such as dropping the door latch mechanism and lock cylinder. The 'catches' that are in the casting for the latch button often fail and cause the spring-loaded assembly to pop back into the door cavity, even with reproduction ones (I have one I need to replace by myself on my '63 hardtop and I'm NOT looking forward to it).

Do a 'Search' for Door Push Button Removal and see what comes up - "Search" is your friend here:
https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... on+removal

You'll notice several of the threads recommend getting the Body/Trim Assembly Manual and the Electrical Assembly Manual along with the shop manuals for your model year ('63 requires both the '62 Shop Manual and '63 Supplement). DON'T DOUBT ME ON THIS ONE - they will more than offset their cost in time and aggravation saved in seeing how they were originally put together.

And, if you're not already (thank you if you are), please consider becoming a dues-paying member of VTCI to help keep this forum on-line and receive "Thunderbird Scoop" magazine.
http://vintagethunderbirdclub.net/club_info.htm
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Johnnyboy

Post by Johnnyboy »

Thank you for the info, sounds like quite a task.
BobHH

Post by BobHH »

Take a look at this post. It was for removing the top door trim but also shows how to remove the push button:
https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... php?t=8532

Good Luck!!

Bob
Bob Harris
Strange 1962 Thunderbird SR?
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

BobHH wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:53 am Take a look at this post. It was for removing the top door trim but also shows how to remove the push button:
https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... php?t=8532

Good Luck!!

Bob
I forgot about this one. I'd like to work this into a tech article for an upcoming Scoop. Bob, can I get your OK to do that?
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
BobHH

Post by BobHH »

No problem Alan.

Bob
Bob Harris
Strange 1962 Thunderbird SR?