Repairing '65 T-Bird clock

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

JBird66

Re: Repairing '65 T-Bird clock

Post by JBird66 »

"As far as adjusting the clocks go, moving the hands less than about 10 minutes has no effect except to change the time. Adjusting more than that will cause the mechanism to change. With a bit of patience, the clock will run correctly."
Okay that is very interesting ..never would have thought that. I don't see how that works but sometimes its easier not to think. Thanks I'll give it a go.
..I'll have to share this with the fellows on the NAWCC message board ..but perhaps they already know.
Regards, Joe B.
Hamilton, Ontario
'Nothing is as far away as a minute ago' J.Bishop
paulr

Post by paulr »

Terry64HT wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:34 pm Re Paul's post a couple back....the points arc every time they spring open, watch them in a dark room. When the field collapses in a relay coil, there is a voltage spike that can be several hundred volts every time. This is a main cause of burnt points. A simple fix is to put a flyback diode across the coil. Very easy to do and will extend the life of the points enormously.
As far as adjusting the clocks go, moving the hands less than about 10 minutes has no effect except to change the time. Adjusting more than that will cause the mechanism to change. With a bit of patience, the clock will run correctly.
Terry
64HT
Both points, things I never considered. Maybe with my losing about a minute a month, I should disconnect the battery an hour at a time, resetting the clock to accommodate. Wonder how much of that it will take to soak up my slack?
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
apines

Post by apines »

A simple fix is to put a flyback diode across the coil. Very easy to do and will extend the life of the points enormously.
This is an excellent idea but be sure to put the cathode (striped end) of the diode toward the positive end of the coil (toward the + side of the battery, not towards chassis). If you want to make it last forever you could also add a resistor/capacitor snubber circuit across the contacts but that's probably overkill.
As far as adjusting the clocks go, moving the hands less than about 10 minutes has no effect except to change the time. Adjusting more than that will cause the mechanism to change. With a bit of patience, the clock will run correctly.
I find this fascinating; I had no idea it did this and have no idea how it does this. Now I need to do some research.
current:
1966 Ford Thunderbird Q-code convertible with Highway Pilot
1975 Triumph Spitfire
past:
1955 Ford Thunderbird
1974 Triumph TR6
1968 Ford Galaxie convertible
1974 VW Super Beetle
1981 Checker Marathon
VTCI membership #12807
JBird66

Post by JBird66 »

apines wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:17 pmI find this fascinating; I had no idea it did this and have no idea how it does this. Now I need to do some research.
I've got the winter to experiment and going to go under the cover and adjust the clock.
Regards, Joe B.
Hamilton, Ontario
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

I didn't go into detail about the installation of the diode, but alpines is correct. It must be installed the correct way. I use diodes on all the relays I've installed. Headlights, widows, dash lights brake lights and probably others.
Section 15-4 of the manual talks about adjusting the clock. I can't find my notes on clock adjustment (I'm in Florida for the winter), but I think I got it backwards in my previous post. An adjustment of less than 10 minutes will cause the mechanism to slow down or speed up and a larger time change has no effect. This is so changing an hour for daylight saving time will not put the clock out of adjustment.
MY clock has been disassembled, cleaned in naphtha and lubricated with proper clock oil. It is a unique oil, available on the internet for a few dollars that will give you enough to do every clock you ever come across. I can easily adjust mine to be accurate to a minute every month or two.
Hope this helps
Terry
64HT
JBird66

Post by JBird66 »

From the guys over on the clock forum ..." There's a stop on the stem that will engage the adjuster if it's moved far enough."
I was just happy to see the second hand function ...now I'm excited to see the clock keep proper time.
Regards, Joe B.
Hamilton, Ontario
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

That's great Joe. My clock was dead for many years before I finally replaced it. Just one of those little things that makes the car all that much nicer.
I did a little experiment and kept the battery connected in order to check my clock. Since my post on Dec. 22, it has lost 15 minutes.
But at least it runs!

S
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

Keep adjusting it every few days and it will eventually keep proper time.
Terry
64HT