car starts when i turn switch to on position

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

methos76

car starts when i turn switch to on position

Post by methos76 »

can anyone help I went out and started my 66 t-bird was sitting idling, I was in the middle of putting down the passenger window when the starter engaged and wouldn't disengage until I shut switch off. now when I turn the switch on the car cranks and starts but the starter is still engaged, I beat on the fuse box and turned the switch back on and it was alright for about 3 seconds then it starts cranking on its own. ive replaced the solenoid but same thing. any clues
Nirich

Re: car starts when i turn switch to on position

Post by Nirich »

Replace the ignition switch.
My issue was similar in that i would start the car but the starter motor would keep spinning while the engine was running and when i switched it off. Had to disconnect the battery each time.
I did replace the starter solenoid three times before i figured out it was the ignition switch.
1966 HT, Q code, A/C, Silver Rose in colour, red interior and lives in Auckland, New Zealand.
VTCI ID# 12903
methos76

Post by methos76 »

thank you I will check it out. I don't have to try to start it, all I have to do is turn the switch to the on position not the start position and it starts cranking
tbird

Post by tbird »

You could have the Start and Ignition wires reversed on the solinoid.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
methos76

Post by methos76 »

the wires have been hooked up the way they are for the last year and today is the first time its ever done that, ive been told its the switch and ive been told it sounds like it lost a ground so I have some checking to do
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

I don't know how losing a ground would cause that. More likely just a wonky switch.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
methos76

Post by methos76 »

well I ordered a new ignition switch now to see how hard it is to replace. wahoo I just hope this does it. im about ready to just put a .45 in it and call it a day
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

methos76 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:01 pm well I ordered a new ignition switch now to see how hard it is to replace. wahoo I just hope this does it. im about ready to just put a .45 in it and call it a day
It's pretty simple, but there are a couple of tricks to know. I believe the procedure is outlined in the manual. If you don't have one (yet), this video will give you the basics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCMLzQaiUB0

~Steve
methos76

Post by methos76 »

thank you
methos76

Post by methos76 »

well replaced the switch now car acts normal
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

methos76 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 12:48 am well replaced the switch now car acts normal
Sweet!