Wiring loom for 1963 alternator to voltage regulator

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

bob jackman

Wiring loom for 1963 alternator to voltage regulator

Post by bob jackman »

Can someone help me find a wire loom for 63 alternator to the voltage regulator? It must have the correct connector for the alternator which is original. Thanks.
Alan H. Tast

Re: Wiring loom for 1963 alternator to voltage regulator

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Need to know your car's build date and whether it has a separate loom from the alternator to the regulator. Early car's had this wiring as part of a single main harness, later ones had a 2-part main harness plus the separate alternator-regulator one which routes over the lower radiator support.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
bob jackman

Post by bob jackman »

Thanks for the reply Alan. My car is a Sport Roadster and the build date is February 8, 1963. It has the separate loom between the alternator and regulator.
Karl

Post by Karl »

G'day Bob.
I have a 63.
when I purchased it I new nothing about these cars and I am slowly returning it to a somewhat original condition. I found out that after I purchased the car it was made up of anything between 60 - 66 parts. The engine is 66 the front springs on it were something of a 60 car if at all a Ford.
The build date of my car is Dec 62.
The harness that came with the car I think is a 62? The reason I say this is because it was missing a individual wire to make the ignition light work properly. I had to install another wire so when the engine is off the ignition light is on and when the engine is running the ignition light is off. My wires run under the radiator.
I have purchased two wire looms, one from Pat Wilsons, I asked him for one that would fit a 63 style alternator, (not one for a 63 car), well he sent me a 64 one which fitted the alternator but the colours are wrong for what I can work out and it is a individual harness. The other one is from a wrecking yard in Texas that I purchased a 63 engine from to replace the 66 engine. Now this 63 loom, is incorporated in the whole engine bay harness and not separate. Both are not what I would consider serviceable, they probably would last for some time but the wires are hard, the outer covering is missing but you would get some life out of them in pinch
Now Alan says it depends on the build date, He would know.
I have seen, and I think it was "The Bird Nest"? they were selling replacement harnesses.
At this stage I am not willing to part with the harness as I still want to try and replicate it. If you like I can send you photo's.
The problem with these harnesses is that there is a unique moulded plug at either end. Somebody is making the plug because if you can purchase the replacement harness, somebody made the plug, but to this stage I don't know who.
You can purchase the alternator plug, you just get the plug and a small length of wire but then you have to splice this into the harness and the colours are all wrong.

I have had some success in replicating the individual wire terminal ends, 90 deg bullet plug, spade terminal for the horn, oil pressure sender wire, 90 deg spade terminal end for the window safety relay etc. These all have the moulded rubber ends.
My intension is to recreate the moulded regulator plug with the correct colour wires and the plug for the alternator and then I can make a replacement loom for my car. This could be some time, the next plug that I will work on is the regulator plug, If you are interested I will keep you in mind. I will be able to make it with the correct colour wires.

Alan, if you don't mind what is the date when they changed?

Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
bob jackman

Post by bob jackman »

Hi Karl,
Thanks for your reply. Looks like you have a nice solid coupe to work on. I was lucky as my care only has 53,000 miles on it and I am the third owner. I bought it from a young man who used to work for me and have the history on the car from new. Tomorrow morning I am taking my alternator in to have it checked. When I pulled it out of the car, the plug on the loom was burnt. I'm thinking if I could just buy the plug I could wire in my existing loom. Do you think this is possible?
I notice that you live in Australia. Are there many of these Birds where you live?
Bob
Karl

Post by Karl »

I live in Brisbane and there are quite a few in the club that I am in, Thunderbird of Queensland. My car has 48,000 but it has been around the clock.

I tried to find a supplier for the plug, I can't remember the name of one who said they would email back, started with a T, techmet or something like that. They never did get back to me.
I have a few alternators and if one breaks I swap it over, I made up a jump wire to change from different alternators. If your plug is burnt you could attach wires to your wires in the plug or cut the plug off and then attach the wires to your alternator. The spade terminals are the same. I use a nut and bolt to join the wires and then wrap the join in insulation tape. Doesn't look good but I am not worried until I put the new engine in.
Karl
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
bob jackman

Post by bob jackman »

Today I took my alternator to a rebuilder who tested the unit and found a diod not working so he is going through the unit for me. Also, I spoke with Thunderbird Headquarters who said they have a replacement loom which they are sending out this week.
Karl

Post by Karl »

I take it that the loom will have the unique plug for the alternator on the end?
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
bob jackman

Post by bob jackman »

I quizzed the customer service rep at length and he assured me that the plug was as original and 63 specific. I guess I'll know for certain when it arrives.
Karl

Post by Karl »

When it does and if it is correct can you see if the plug itself is available?
Karl
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
bob jackman

Post by bob jackman »

Karl, I received the wire loom from Thunderbird Headquarters and it has the correct plug. I inquired about buying just the plug but that is not available. Now I have to wait to get my alternator back from the rebuilder to put it all back together.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Thanks Bob.
Somebody must be making the plug, maybe in China.
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
Karl

Post by Karl »

Bob would you be able to tell me if the colour of the wires are correct for 63.
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
bob jackman

Post by bob jackman »

Hi Karl, Sorry for not getting back to you sooner but I was traveling for the last couple of weeks. When I took my alternator in to have it rebuilt they told me a diod was burnt out. Later I found out the stater was shot and had to be replaced. Finally I got it back and it works great. Then I was having trouble with my starter as it wouldn't turn over the motor. I wasn't able to find a new starter motor so I bought a rebuilt unit from my local parts house. Turns out that the rebuilt unit wasn't any good. They gave me another rebuilt unit and I installed it last weekend and it works fine. Finally I replaced the battery cables which are exact duplicates of the originals which I got from Thunderbird Headquarters. Now i'm back in business and driving the bird again. How's your project coming?
Karl

Post by Karl »

G'day Bob.
It seems with these old cars it never rains but it pours.

Yeah I have had some success with the wires and terminal ends. I am at the moment working on the plug that goes onto the regulator. I will most likely have a machine shop machine it for me as I can't do external radii.
With the wires that you received for the alternator, did they have the correct coloured wires in the loom?
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop