hard brake pedal

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Dutchbird

hard brake pedal

Post by Dutchbird »

Hi,
in my 63' with powerbrake the pedal goes real hard Since yesterday.
I looked into the manual and there they say it could be a vacuüm leak, but the engine runs well. Is it treu That the engine wont run so niCE when vacum leaks?

What could I do more to fix this problem?
Greetings from the Netherlands,

Martin

56' Thunderbird
63' Thunderbird Convertible
65' Thunderbird Convertible
RedBird64

Re: hard brake pedal

Post by RedBird64 »

The eng could run fine with a vacuum leak (although it's unhealthy) so that's no way to tell. You need to remove boosters vac hose at the eng. Then apply a vacuum to it (I've even just used my mouth before I had a MightyVac) and see if it will hold a vacuum or you just keep sucking and vacuum never builds.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Cliff Rankin

Post by Cliff Rankin »

Sounds like a vacuum leak or the booster going north. Maybe a little of both. With the car running at idle pull the hose off the booster. You should feel vacuum off that hose. Look around under the hood , see if you see other leaks similar to the one you may have created pulling that hose. (I know , sometimes bad grammar describes it best)
Post what you find. If it’s the booster don’t worry they can be easier and cheaper to fix than you think.
Cliff
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
Dutchbird

Post by Dutchbird »

I took off the upper hose. It have a good vacum I think, I do feel it good.
I cant find any leak.
But were does the second hose goes to? Goes to a metal pipe That goes down behind the engine.
image2.jpeg

Martin

56' Thunderbird
tbird

Post by tbird »

The steel pipe going behind the engine is for the transmission Vacuum modulator which controls shift points as the vacuum changes.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
Cliff Rankin

Post by Cliff Rankin »

Have you tried what Scott suggested ? I going to bet if you are sucking air it’s the booster. Pull the master cylinder off and forward , see if the leak is the rubber behind it.
You can pull the booster and fix it yourself or there are shops you can send it to . I don’t know how comfortable you are doing your own repairs.
Cliff
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
Dutchbird

Post by Dutchbird »

Ok, think it is a leak in the booster, sucks on the hose and look like I keep getting air.

Can I take the mastercillinder of without disconnecting the oillines?

And is there a way to disconnect the booster so I can keep driving it but without powerbrake?

Martin

56' Thunderbird
Cliff Rankin

Post by Cliff Rankin »

Well....No , if you bypass it , it would be difficult to drive. Once it’s apart it has to go back before you can drive it. Yes you can normally pull the master cylinder back enough to sneak the booster out. You may need to unplug the wires to the brake switch. Take the brace off above the master cylinder, unbolt the master cylinder and pull forward a little. Parking brake on , comfortable parking spot , door wide open. Take an L shape pick and remove the C clip at the pedal and remove the 4 -3/8 nuts at the firewall . Pull it out and on the bench to see what’s
Going on. How’s that for a start ?
Cliff
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
Dutchbird

Post by Dutchbird »

Ok, update
Changed the booster. Problem solved so far.
Now I see That there is some brakefluid in the booster so I am going to change the mastercillinder as well

Martin

56' Thunderbird
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Brake fluid is death to the booster (probably why yours failed) so you want to wash it out of there fast.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.