Engines for sale

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

elpasorabo

Engines for sale

Post by elpasorabo »

Sorry to say I experienced a fire in my garage where I kept my 57 and 55 T-bird. Both were totally destroyed. As we go through the process of pulling these out of the garage and send them to be crushed, I was wondering it there is a market for the drive trains in them. I know in many of my other classics, like vettes, people are always looking for engines that are date coded from that period. One is a 292 and the other is a 312. Any thoughts on a market for these engines or any other part of the drivetrain? The aluminum valve covers did not melt, so I suspect while they need to be rebuilt, they are ok.
Joe Johnston

Re: Engines for sale

Post by Joe Johnston »

So sorry to hear about the loss of your Thunderbirds. Yes there is a market for the parts, but due too weight and location of buyer and seller, I would expect it to be difficult for shipping arrangements. Local sales will be your best bet and seek out help from a local group or club. Post for sale below in the For Sale section and be sure to give the City and State of their location. Best of luck.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

So sorry to hear this crushing news on your baby birds, There is a market on the engines. You should contact your local Thunderbird chapter. They could help you in finding someone in your area to buy and pick up the engines. If you have no luck you might list on Craig's list local. Best of luck.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
elpasorabo

Post by elpasorabo »

Thanks for the replies. One has a good frame so I will hang onto the drive train on the frame. The other was on the upper lift and it collapsed on the other one as is bent. But it has the 312 so I will pull that engine and send the rest to the crusher. I agree the local buyer is probably the most likely. Thanks again.