Need help identifying vacuum lines and with thermostatic valve

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

GROOVYBIRD

Need help identifying vacuum lines and with thermostatic valve

Post by GROOVYBIRD »

I am trying to figure out the mysteries of my 66 Landau factory a/c car. It's a survivor that has had people tinkering with it for 50 years. In the picture of the hoses, can someone identify the left and right vertical hoses? The middle hose is for the rear vent and that horizontal hose above is to the engine. I think the verticle hose on the left, when I blow low pressure air through it, it is leaking or leading to a leak in the plenum because I hear hissing. I hear the leak on the passenger side of the plenum so it is not leading to a leak in the thermostatic valve.

I got the car from Florida and the heating system was basically gone. No heater hoses, plugs were in the water pump and intake manifold, and no heater control valve. I don't want to take the dash completely down and managed to replace the heater core without doing so.

I also didn’t want to go thru the back door by removing the blower motor to access the water temperature control valve. Instead, I rigged a manual bypass for the heater in the engine compartment to be operated by cable. However, I seem to have no control over the doors in the vent system. I have good airflow from the blower but no heated air and no control over where the air goes. Is there a way to test whether the water temperature control valve failed in the off or closed position? Any other ideas?

The second issue is the factory thermostatic valve is not completely connected and to the lower right there appears to be a non-factory thermostatic control valve replacement or bypass which does not use vacuum. Can anyone guess how someone might have been getting vacuum? The last owner told me that the a/c would blow cold but no one could figure out why the Volume of air flow was deficient. Would replacing the factory thermostatic valve and removing the other be a solution?

A third, related issue is the door locks and rear vent don't work. I think there must be a vacuum interface or junction but I don't know exactly what type of interface or junction to look for or a probable location, in relation to the other components. Can you give us some direction?

The only vacuum diagram I have been able to obtain is just for the heat and air system.

Thanks for any help or guidance anyone would be willing to share. Groovybird doesn’t give up her secrets easily! --CJ

Rt.146

Re: Need help identifying vacuum lines and with thermostatic valve

Post by Rt.146 »

On my 66 Landau, I removed the dash replaced the Vacuum canisters and hoses for door locks, rear vents and every other hose, to understand how to reconnect all takes some reading and re-reading of diagrams, not a job I would like to do over any time soon, though I understand some members pull their dash, regularly as a mental exercise..
GROOVYBIRD

Post by GROOVYBIRD »

The only diagram I have for the vacuum lines is just for heat and air. Are there any others available?

CJ
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

Try this link for pics. courtesy T-Bird Garage

http://www.tbirdgarage.com/Site_2/Techn ... .html#grid
GROOVYBIRD

Post by GROOVYBIRD »

Thank you, that's a help!