Lights indicators on the Fuel Gauge.

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

works4food

Lights indicators on the Fuel Gauge.

Post by works4food »

The Fuel gauge has "Temp" and "Oil" indicators on the bottom and left, respectively, but what is the other light on the right side? And what is the "Oil" indicator indicating? Pressure, level? I attatched a pic.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 8.57.59 AM.png
ICON 1956

Re: Lights indicators on the Fuel Gauge.

Post by ICON 1956 »

When I had my 61 i remember the right side light is for the generator...It would flash if the generator would be low on power.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
VTTBird

Post by VTTBird »

The light on the right is, in fact, a generator charge indicator light. This light flashes on if the battery is discharging and the generator is not supplying current. Similarly the oil pressure light, on the left, flashes on when the oil pressure is below a safe value. Both lights can be tested by turning the key to the "on" position with the engine NOT running. Both lights should light when this is done, and both lights should go out when the engine is started.
Ken
1962 Thunderbird Hardtop
VTCI # 12645
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Do you have an Owners Manual for the car? All the operations and how they work are explained in that handy little book. One very important bit of information is the position of the gear selector lever and how the car operates in Drive. These functions are all explained clearly in the Manual. Many have had Transmission problems due to not reading or understanding its operational functions.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

I strongly agree with Raven, You need the owner's manual did you have one that came with the car?, If not you can buy from Jim Osborn reproductions. www.osborn-reproduction.com ph 770 962 7556
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
GeoffInCarlsbad

Post by GeoffInCarlsbad »

Yep, it is GEN and get a manual. I agree that if you don't have a Shop Manual, you should have one, along with Steve Christ's "How to Rebuild a BIG BLOCK FORD ENGINE".
Attachments
Best Reference HOW TO for the 390 FE
Best Reference HOW TO for the 390 FE
Geoff in Carlsbad CA
1961 T-Bird Convertible (in progress)
Love it! ::?
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Take note guys, if memory serves, both the oil pressure and gen lights would flash and also stay fully lit depending on conditions. Example, with the oil light, in a rapid decell condition the light would flicker for a few seconds and if an extended period of low oil pressure occurred it would stay lit telling you to SHUT THE MOTOR OFF
In regard to the gen light, at idle if an over load occurred, it would flicker, telling you it had a higher draw than what it could satisfy, but if the gen failed totally it would glow steady telling you, you had a problem no matter what speed you went at.

I highly recommend that anyone who owns one of these 50 year old wonders should retain an Owners Manual, a Shop Manual, plus any Osborne catalogues at will satisfy the levels of information required to maintain, repair, or even drive a car of this level. The number of guys who use to fix these Birds are slowly leaving this world and we have to fend for ourselves.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
El Leon

Post by El Leon »

Technically the warning is "DIS" for "discharge", but yes, essentially low voltage.

If you convert to a 1-wire GM alternator, then the DIS light will be on constantly. You will need this relay wired in to shut that warning light off as it will no longer be functional in any way.

https://www.americanautowire.com/shop/1 ... est-module
Stirling Moss once said “There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love.”

But then Albert Einstein replied, “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”