Green Aluminum Dash Trim

This area is open to any (no profanities/etc.) subject you would like to discuss. NO VENDOR FOR SALE ITEMS

Moderator: Terri McNeill

WNC Bird

Green Aluminum Dash Trim

Post by WNC Bird »

Hello all-

I have a 62 convertible with aqua / teal #57 interior. The aluminum dash parts are tinted green. The right side dash trim was 'modified' sometime in the past by a long gone owner. He cut several 2" x 3" holes in the trim for AC vents. It looks like heck and I can no longer put up with it. I am able to get replacement trim in standard aluminum finish. Does anyone know how to tint the trim green or know of someone who can?

Thank you very much in advance for any advice.

Ken
1962 Corinthian white convertible
Past birds
1977 Town Landau
1978 t-top
Alan H. Tast

Re: Green Aluminum Dash Trim

Post by Alan H. Tast »

:n00b: Use the 'Search' function at the upper right corner of the screen and type in a few keywords like 'dash trim color' and see what turns up. This has been covered several times in the VTCI Forum over the past 16 years of its existence. The originals were sprayed with a tinted clear finish - you'd have to have a good sample for a paint jobber to match, then arrange to have them sprayed by a painter.

Personally, I had a full set of ribbed trim color anodized back in 2003 by Ano-Brite in Hollywood, CA for my turquoise-interiored '63 hardtop, and it doesn't look the same as the OEM finish - plus 16 years ago it was around $500 do anodize the dash, door and quarter trim. You'd have to put an original side-by-side with the anodized one to see the difference.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
WNC Bird

Re: Green Aluminum Dash Trim

Post by WNC Bird »

Alan-

Thank you. Yep, I'm a newbie. I did some looking around but didn't use the search function. I should have known better.

Ken
1962 Corinthian white convertible
Past birds
1977 Town Landau
1978 t-top