Glyptal?

This area is open to any (no profanities/etc.) subject you would like to discuss. NO VENDOR FOR SALE ITEMS

Moderator: Terri McNeill

GeeWhat57?

Glyptal?

Post by GeeWhat57? »

I did a search across all the forums assuming this product had been discussed ad nauseam. But, zero results! Has anybody used this product? Ay good/bad experiences?
Thank you.

Post has been moved by Moderator to General section to increase the number of views/responses
"I'm too old for this. But then I always was!"
The Colonel in Meet John Doe.
Jeff & June
Friendsville, Tennessee
goldwinghg

Re: Glyptal?

Post by goldwinghg »

What is it? Not familiar with it.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

I always understood it to be a "paint" product. Old technology, which is like epoxy paint. Glyptal was the red primer used on Naval ships to reduce corrosion," Hull Primer".
The idea of the product was to seal pores in the metal surface to separate the metal from salt, etc. Today it is still around but not a readily available product. Its current clone replacement is the POR15 product, which is of a new chemical base/technology.
In years past , it was stated that engine builders would coat the inside surfaces of a fresh cleaned block to seal the open pores, and reduce oil sweating, plus the thought was that the oil would shead off and return to the crankcase oil pan quicker, (like waxing a car).
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

I've heard about it in reference to coating the inside of the engines to improve oil flow like was mentioned above. Never used it.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
Ferrbird

Post by Ferrbird »

I've used it, is a smooth shiny finish.
As mentioned, seenused inside engine to improve oil flow, as it is smoother on rough internal castings.
Its main use now is usually on large electric industrial motors, use it at my work here.
Not sure why anyone would use it fir anything but now, as there's better, modern products out now for more specific
applications.
CSPIDY

Post by CSPIDY »

It is intended for use on exposed electrical components. to insulated the hot wires and solder joints.
it is old school and not used much in the industry, heat shrink and RTV provide better insulation.
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA
tbird

Post by tbird »

My hot rod buddy whom does all my engine work does the valley under the intake manifold and all the rough cast iron inner surfaces with it presumably keeps the oil flowing back to the pan faster and keeps it cleaner. Maybe just a old mechanic's idea but the oil does seem to stay cleaner, it can be found at electrical supply houses cost is around 45.00 Canadian or 25.00-30.00 US for a quart. He has used it for years on his 11 second S.S cars.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
cacockrum

Post by cacockrum »

For what's it worth, I used it years ago to seal small leaks in threaded vacuum fittings and electrical feed-throughs. With the system under vacuum, a small amount could be applied to the leak where it would be pulled into the space by the vacuum. Sometime it worked and sometime it didn't. Thankfully, technology has progressed to the point where these kind of leaks are no longer an issue.
GeeWhat57?

Post by GeeWhat57? »

Thank you for the comments. I came across the product in Eastwood's catalog. A quart is $45.00. I wondered if it is worth it.
"I'm too old for this. But then I always was!"
The Colonel in Meet John Doe.
Jeff & June
Friendsville, Tennessee