Friends driving your car.

This area is open to any (no profanities/etc.) subject you would like to discuss. NO VENDOR FOR SALE ITEMS

Moderator: Terri McNeill

mjabbasi

Friends driving your car.

Post by mjabbasi »

We all have acquaintances, friends, close friends and best friends (still a work of fiction to me but I digress) who are totally enamored by our cars and always wanting to go for a ride in them, but have any of these 'friends' ever asked you if they could 'drive' your car? I have had many and on only 2 occasions I allowed these 2 friends of mine to take the wheel of my LC and T-Bird because they themselves were owners of a Buick and Cadillac and I sat right next to them giving them full instructions even though they knew exactly what to do but refusal at times has led to awkward situations. So how many of you are generous with the wheel?
Moin Abbasi

1961 Montecarlo Red Thunderbird Convertible
1962 Nocturne Blue Lincoln Continental Sedan
1963 Premier Yellow Lincoln Continental Convertible
TNcoupe

Re: Friends driving your car.

Post by TNcoupe »

I dont let anyone drive my 2012 base model Focus let alone my 2015 Mustang GT or the T Bird.
60fore

Post by 60fore »

I have never had a friend ask to drive one of my T-Birds. Maybe that's because they are also past or present owners of collector cars themselves and adhere to the old rule that asking to drive someone's pride and joy is akin to asking to sleep with his wife LOL!
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
abaucom

Post by abaucom »

Never had a friend ask to drive my car but I have offered if I am the passenger. Once I offer most want to take it for a drive. My opinion is why not share the fun with other auto enthusiasts regardless of their age. Personally I would like the opportunity to spend 20 minutes behind the wheel of a collector auto I have never driven but there are so few opportunities. Most people are hesitant to ask to drive your car unless you offer a "test drive".

Frankly, if I let mechanics drive my auto when I am not present, why not let someone drive my auto just for the experience when I am sitting shotgun? Truth be told I get more enjoyment with my Bird when I let someone else drive it then I do just parking it in a field of +100 other collector cars at a show (look but do not touch).
T-Bird Registry #19119
1966 T-Bird convertible
2011 Camaro 2LT
mainstreetprod

Post by mainstreetprod »

I would really have to trust someone to let them drive it- but I've often thought that the old car hobby could be perpetuated by offering rides to spectators at car shows, especially kids. Just a quick run around the parking lot could be an experience some kids would never forget and make them a car nut for life.

My day job is filmmaking and video work and last year we made a feature film that took place in the 70's . One scene had a high school parking lot filled with muscle cars (courtesy of a local car club). My own car at the time, a '51 Kaiser Deluxe, was the daily driver of the main character in the film and the time came for him to drive the car in a major scene. He got a good laugh because I would only let him drive it straight, not around a corner. The reason was I nearly wiped it out on a phone pole the first week I drove it, swinging a corner to fast and not being used to manual steering. I didn't realize he had plenty of experience driving trucks and other manual steering vehicles.
Karl

Post by Karl »

I have a facebook page but I am still confused with this word Friend, I still don't have any.
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
mcgsxr

Post by mcgsxr »

I have let my father drive my T Bird. He let me learn I to drive in his cars after all.

And my best friend. He let me drive his new 911 convertible so I figured it was only fair!

My mech has also driven it for a test drive after a brake service. Again, he let me drive his Camaro SS, and I have known him for 35 years (since we were 11).
Rehomed - 1969 Red Landau Tudor survivor, 34K original miles. TBird Registry #37047
crustysack

Post by crustysack »

T-bird not done yet but I have a 65 GTO fully restored, I have let a few people drive it and I always get good karma. Took my friend for a ride and let him drive, he then invited me to a polo match where I met a guy who loved my car who had a 2012 Aston Martin DBS v12, he let me take that for a ride.Met a guy at my work who loved my car- took him for a ride and offered him to take the wheel he politely refused but when we got back he offered up his Cadillac CTSV, which I took him up on. BMW M5, 68 Chevelle 454, 69 Camaro RS/SS, 59 chevy Impala, 54 Ford F100, Audi R8 are all cars I got to drive by taking people for a ride and offering to let them drive- I built my car to be enjoyed and it always comes back whenever I offer it up.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Well, This might be a sticky subject for me, I don't let anyone drive my classic cars. I've put so much work into my 65 stang and 61 bird. Already my kids are arguing who gets those cars!.....I'm only 62 and in great health . I told them that when I'm gone do what you like......Or I might pull the rug from under them and sell them when I get old and can't drive :mrgreen:
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Richard

Post by Richard »

I let all my friends drive my 65.. I figure in the past 51 years many people have driven her so why not some close friends. They have not asked but I have offered..All have been very respectful and careful..I believe in sharing my joy with others.. :smile:
1965 Hardtop Charcoal Gray Metallic
VTCI#12157
Karl

Post by Karl »

It is a funny thing this subject on letting other people drive one's car.

Some 10 years ago when my son was interested in model plains, he was looking at making a model B17 bomber from the 40's. I was reading up on the subject and we got a book out of the local library (Yes this was before I found out about the internet) and in it was some story's of the men that flew the planes. One fellow said that he had just finished training in flying the planes and was to be shipped of to war. He was on leave back home and wanted to borrow his fathers car to take his girl friend out. His father flatly refused to let him have the car. His reply was well the government is letting me fly his planes which were over $200,000.00 each but you won't let me drive your old car!!!!!!
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
Leon9475

Post by Leon9475 »

I I would never allowed to do that ;D
Wklink

Post by Wklink »

I've let my son drive both of my 62s. I was present with him when he drove the White one. I've never had a friend ask to drive either one, most would be too scared to drive. I'm not sure if I would. I was a little nervous the first time I let him drive the red one unassisted (he was 17 at the time) but I do feel that one of these days he will get the cars, he should at least know how different they are from a 2010 Cobalt. He also has had a four year spotless record so I don't fear his driving, he is pretty conservative.

The wife refuses to drive either one. She drove the red 62 when she bought it for me and drove it the 120 miles home. She wasn't paying attention and then noticed she was doing 100mph on the interstate. She parked it and has refused to drive it again. I think she is silly but she is terrified that she will do something stupid in the car. She is hype vigilant in the car even when I am driving. It is a little irritating sometime when she calls out a car that is passing me. But I guess it is better than just assuming I know the guy is there.
Thomas Cofield
1962 Hardtop, 'Thumper' Red/Black
1962 Hardtop, 'The Survivor' White/Red
VTCI-PNW
RSSVTCI