67 wiring problems

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
BadCat

67 wiring problems

Post by BadCat »

Hi there, I am a new Thunderbird owner. I have owned 67-68 Cougars since I had my license and now have moved up to a Tbird. The car I bought has had someone messing around under the dash and I'm not sure what is supposed to go where.

I have no turn signals or 4 ways at all. They don't even seem to be getting power to them. I have tested the orange/yellow wire on the emergency flasher switch and have power there. If I push the swithch I hear a clicking behind the rear drivers side seat, but not everytime I push it, only sometimes. There is no reaction whatsoever if I put the signals in either the right or left position. My brake lights work fine as do my tail lights. I tried jumping the turn signal switch and am sure I can hear the sequential flasher box making one single click but doesn't turn the cam at all.

What color wires does the power travel through from the signal switch in the front to rear of the car, and where does it go to before it gets to the sequential flasher?

Another weird problem I have is when the car is off, key out of ignition. If I turn the steering wheel back and forth the windshield wipers activate sporadically.

Any advice or pictures of how my under dash, in trunk and sequential flasher wiring should look would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
mcgsxr

Post by mcgsxr »

I have a wiring diagram, but it is not for your years.

I found the vacuum and wiring diagrams together for $30 or so at The T Bird Sanctuary.

Very helpful in solving a recent issue with my brake lights, recommended.
Rehomed - 1969 Red Landau Tudor survivor, 34K original miles. TBird Registry #37047
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

Another weird problem I have is when the car is off, key out of ignition. If I turn the steering wheel back and forth the windshield wipers activate sporadically.
Your wipers are run by a hydraulic motor, they're not electric or vacuum. By turning your steering wheel, you're sending a little bypass pressure to the wiper motor. Have a look at the power steering hoses, things might make a little more sense. I wouldn't worry much about the wipers as long as they work. Good luck, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
BadCat

Post by BadCat »

Thank you for the help you guys. I will order the vacuum and wiring diagrams promptly, as well as check the power steering hoses. I have alot to learn about these cars I guess. I hope I can figure this out.Power windows are the next thing to tackle so I'd like to figure out this signal situation asap. :???: Thanks again for the help, It is greatly appreciated. :mrgreen:
ve4jnf

Re: 67 wiring problems

Post by ve4jnf »

hi there check the connecter at the bottom of th steering shaft for breaks. i had the same problems. i also have the vacume manual and the seperate electrical if you want them let me no. john
mbayrock

Re: 67 wiring problems

Post by mbayrock »

I'm having the same issues with no hazard or turn signals...
Was there any resolution?
1968 Thunderbird landau fordor