Reverse lights flash, but don't stay on

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
mcgsxr

Reverse lights flash, but don't stay on

Post by mcgsxr »

I have found the reverse lights on the car, they are "hidden" in the chrome piece between the tail lights.

When I put the car into Reverse, they flash but don't stay on.

Neutral safety switch issue?

Ideas on how best to test etc?

Thanks guys!

Mark
Rehomed - 1969 Red Landau Tudor survivor, 34K original miles. TBird Registry #37047
tbirdjohn

Post by tbirdjohn »

I have the same issue with my '67. Mine is due to the shifter being a bit sloppy. If I hold the shift lever 'just right" they stay on, otherwise they also flash and go out. I have replaced my Neutral Safety Switch 3 times...they work for a while and eventually go sloppy again...

I wish Ford would have used a Console mounted shifter on all the '60's T-Birds. Would have eliminated half the Column problems and it would looked better. The '63-'65 Rivs all had floor mounted shifters on the console. Why have a console with no shifter was always my pondering question on these LOL!
mcgsxr

Post by mcgsxr »

Maybe I will have to live with it the way it is then, thanks for the insight.

I love the column shifter though, it is part of what makes it feel vintage to me. Of course I have a bench front seat, so there was no hope anyway!
Rehomed - 1969 Red Landau Tudor survivor, 34K original miles. TBird Registry #37047
mcgsxr

Post by mcgsxr »

Hmmn, I notice that my brake lights are out too. Related?

I have turn signals on both sides. I checked and I have tail lights when the headlights are on.

I assume I have some checking to do with the master cylinder switch, and then further fun in the trunk with the sequential turn signal stuff, and potentially it is related to the neutral safety switch?
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

The stop switch will be on the pedal linkage under the dash, the stop circuit isn't connected to the backup lights. From what I can gather, the turn/stop systems are pretty similar between your car and the flairbirds, the article in the tech section should be of some help. Good luck, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
mcgsxr

Post by mcgsxr »

I have read through the resource you pointed me to, many thanks.

I will have to bone up on test light use, electrical is not my strong point.

I have the manuals on disc off eBay, so I should be able to sort through it in time.

Thanks for the pointers!
mcgsxr

Post by mcgsxr »

Too funny.

I had an exhaust issue, so I took it over to a local place that my mech recommended. They put the Bird up on the hoist, running in reverse. The lights stayed on.

I think that I will have to carefully center the shifter to get the reverse lights to stay on.

Happy to fix something for free!
tbird

Post by tbird »

You likely need to adjust your neutral switch, there should be instructions in your Ford shop manual.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars