Cam, Timeing chain, intake, carb. change...ANY ADVICE?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Gravygut

Cam, Timeing chain, intake, carb. change...ANY ADVICE?

Post by Gravygut »

I picked up a good solid 1971 2 door 429 for $1000. I am restoring it to a point, and modifying the engine.

I am installing a WEIAND dual plane intake(8012), a SUMMIT cam/lifters only (.479/.508 lift), SUMMIT timeing chain/gear (double roller), HOLLEY 750 cfm 4v.

This is the first step. This is also my first mod on a classic by myself at 31 years old. I feel like Ime behind and need to catch up, so any advice to take into account is good advice.
Also, let me know about any trouble spots, tricks, and plain old wisedome I might need when Ime in there.

Thanks, and heres to a long future with the THUNDERBIRD :evil: CLUB!!

MIKE.
scumdog

Post by scumdog »

Your engine mods sound o.k. - just check the cam is compatible with a stock convertor in your auto - too 'lumpy' a cam will make driving in cities a bear as the engine will want to stall each time you pull it into gear.

Try running the specs for your modification on this site: 460ford.com

They're a great bunch of knowledgable guys.
Kiwi Thunderbirder
'66 Town Landau
'55 F100
'37 Ford coupe
'64 Anglia
'05 Ultraglide Classic
Gravygut

Post by Gravygut »

Like Jabba the Hutt says, "I like you, your my kind of SCUM,.....dog!"
Thanks for the input. I decided against the cam change. I dont want to haft to mess with the tork converter. The intake, and carb are on now. I will start it up tomorrow and hopefully no leaks!! ](*,)
I am still going to put a timing chain/gear in it later this summer. This alone would bring out the true potential of the motor (un-retard the engine).
"Time can change me, but I cant change time."
Gravygut

Post by Gravygut »

All done with that. No leaks! Runs real smooth with improved throtel response. Next is new motor mounts.
"Time can change me, but I cant change time."
smorgasbird

Post by smorgasbird »

Gravygut: if you change your mind about the cam check into Comp's Xtreme Energy cams. I bought one and the matching springs when I rebuilt my 390 and I love it- lots of low end tork! Best of all the duration was within the limits of the stock converter.
Mike S
Grand Rapids, Mi
'61 red HT
birdstheword

Post by birdstheword »

Hey Mike, new guy here, also 31 & resto-modding a '67 tudor landau.
A good source of info/advice for these 390 FE engine's is Barry Rabotnick of Survival Motorports... FE's are his specialty.