Need a source for Green Viny Roof material

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
mbayrock

Need a source for Green Viny Roof material

Post by mbayrock »

I'm hoping someone can point me to a place where i could order a replacement vinyl top for my 1968 fordoor landau.

The original color was green and I was hoping to keep the same color. I found a few places that sell the correct cut, but none that do custom colors.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

mark
1968 Thunderbird landau fordor
Alan H. Tast

Re: Need a source for Green Viny Roof material

Post by Alan H. Tast »

mbayrock wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:53 pm I'm hoping someone can point me to a place where i could order a replacement vinyl top for my 1968 fordoor landau.

The original color was green and I was hoping to keep the same color. I found a few places that sell the correct cut, but none that do custom colors.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

mark
If you have a ready source for Cayman/alligator grain for your top, I'd recommend getting the material in a neutral color and having it dyed locally - you can go to an automotive paint jobber, have vinyl dye mixed to match your sample and get the prep chemicals to apply to the vinyl before dyeing, and have an upholstery shop dye/install the top. The "usual suspect" for sourcing items like this is SMS Auto Fabrics out of Portland, Oregon; their customer service isn't the greatest, takes a very long time to get an order filled, etc. - do a Search in the Forum for SMS Auto Fabrics and Caveat Emptor (that's Latin for "buyer beware" for you folks in Rio Linda).
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
64thunderbird64

Re: Need a source for Green Viny Roof material

Post by 64thunderbird64 »

you can try SMS fabrics based out of canby, oregon. they have Nos material.