Advice on how to replace power window motors.

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
mbayrock

Advice on how to replace power window motors.

Post by mbayrock »

Hey everyone,

Im trying to figure out how to change my power window motors.

I have the door opened up and I can see the old motor, just can't seem to figure out how to take the old one out.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
1968 Thunderbird landau fordor
voltron

Re: Advice on how to replace power window motors.

Post by voltron »

It's been over 40 years since I had a power window motor out of a 69 Bird. I don't remember having much difficulty the bolts holding it in were accessible and I did have to support the raised window glass with clamps covered with shop rags to keep it from falling and hold it up out of the way. The glass is heavy you don't want it falling with your hands and fingers in there. Maybe someone has had a more recent experience, things are pretty foggy in the brain from 4 decades ago.
Dansbirds

Re: Advice on how to replace power window motors.

Post by Dansbirds »

Remove regulator arms from tracks on glass and door, hold door glass up, I use vice grips on guide rods, unbolt regulator from door, unplug motor, remove regulator assy. Clamp the regulator assy to avoid spring releasing tension when motor remove 3 screws holding motor on. I leave motor plugged in as long as possible if it still works at all as it’s much easier to fish out of door if you can move it some. Not a hard job just take your time and be cautious as the spring is under a lot of tension!
Have had over 40 t birds here from 57-2004
Currently have a 65,70,and 80 Silver Anniversary