A repro part that is ALMOST right

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
simmobe

A repro part that is ALMOST right

Post by simmobe »

Greetings from central Illinois.

Wanted to share my experience with fixing my inoperative gas gauge. As expected, the original '71 fuel sending unit in the tank was defective, corroded and the float was bad. I ordered a new 'reproduction' fuel tank sending unit from a vendor, which arrived quickly and was very well packaged. Upon initial examination, the new unit looked fine. It installed easily in the fuel tank, the mounting tabs, lock ring, and wiring connector all were fine. Unfortunately, the metal fuel outlet tube was about 3/4 inch longer than the original, which meant that it was impossible to connect the rubber fuel line as the car's underbody structure was in the way. Arrghh! Ended up having to remove the already-installed sending unit, cutting off a portion of the metal outlet tube to shorten it, and then re-install the unit again into the gas tank.

All in all, the job was a success as my gas gauge now works correctly. However, this was a perfect example of a reproduction part that was almost right, but not quite.
Bruce
1971 Thunderbird Hardtop
Dansbirds

Re: A repro part that is ALMOST right

Post by Dansbirds »

Seems to be the case at the moment with these year birds. We’ve had a ton of birds and never had parts issues, all earlier year cars. The 70 I just bought has been a lesson in patience. I bought 1/4 glass seals paid dearly and got a set where one was correct and one not. Parts supplier kept says no to trim it, they even sent another set just as wrong as the first. They wouldn’t even listen to what I was saying that the part had to be mis packaged.
Have had over 40 t birds here from 57-2004
Currently have a 65,70,and 80 Silver Anniversary
Dansbirds

Post by Dansbirds »

By the way if 1/4 glass seals are needed get 71-73 mustang fastback seals. Same part number, fraction of the price and can be bought individually as opposed to a pair.
Have had over 40 t birds here from 57-2004
Currently have a 65,70,and 80 Silver Anniversary
OneAmongOthers

Post by OneAmongOthers »

http://www.classiquecars.com/thunderbirdparts.htm

Have you guys ever tried this place for your 67-70 tbird parts? He's got a decent selection of stuff. Some of it NOS parts as well.