1971 Dash Lights

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
simmobe

1971 Dash Lights

Post by simmobe »

Greetings to all from central Illinois.

My 1971 T-Bird has a burned out dash turn signal indicator bulb. The signals work fine, just the dash indicator bulb for a right hand turn is bad. I spent nearly 2 hours last night trying to figure out how to get to the blasted dashboard bulbs. Taking out the instrument fascia revealed the instruments, but I could not pull the panel forward due to the speedo cable and electrical connections on the back side. No joy coming from underneath the instrument panel, I could not even see the bulb sockets when laying on the floor, looking up under the dash.

My service manual is still a couple of days away from being delivered. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to get to those darn dash light bulbs? I cannot believe that Ford intended for a service tech to take the dash apart ... but I have most certainly been wrong before!

Many thanks in advance for any help you can send.
Bruce
1971 Thunderbird Hardtop
OneAmongOthers

Re: 1971 Dash Lights

Post by OneAmongOthers »

What is causing the issue getting the dash bulbs out? Steering wheel getting in the way?
Dansbirds

Post by Dansbirds »

Here is the copy from my shop manual, my car is a 70 but can’t imagine it would be different
Attachments
3212625F-AA17-4E9C-B193-976AD999BA70.jpeg
Have had over 40 t birds here from 57-2004
Currently have a 65,70,and 80 Silver Anniversary
simmobe

Post by simmobe »

Success! My shop manual arrived in the mail, and eureka! it described having to remove the clear lens/mask assembly in front of the gauges to get at the bulbs. By golly, it worked! The plastic/metal push pin/rivet retainers were somewhat fiddly, but in the end the job was completed.
Bruce
1971 Thunderbird Hardtop