Is this the right fuel sending unit for my 1969 thunderbird?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
OneAmongOthers

Is this the right fuel sending unit for my 1969 thunderbird?

Post by OneAmongOthers »

Saw this listing for a fuel sending unit and was wondering if this is the right one. Says its without sensor. What is that?
https://restorationpartssource.com/stor ... tails.html

Here's the one that came out of my tank.
Seems like that top post on the plug doesn't really do anything. So can I use the one I listed above?
Alan H. Tast

Re: Is this the right fuel sending unit for my 1969 thunderbird?

Post by Alan H. Tast »

You probably have the "Low Fuel" warning light on the dash or in an overhead console that's part of the Safety Convenience Control package. The sender in the picture has the Thermistor sensor, which has a lead/wire to one of the electrical prongs. The sender you referenced would not have this, meaning your "Low Fuel" light would not work. I don't know if the replacement sender's plug setup would work with the one in your car. Personally, I would try to find a sender with the Thermistor so that the system is operational - it's something that is evaluated as part of VTCI judging for operations, and a knowledgable buyer will want the light to be operational when it comes time for you to sell the car (and that day will come - don't doubt me on that one).
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
stove

Post by stove »

Alan is correct.

This is the correct part. http://www.tbirdhq.com/pc_product_detai ... D67887CACC

A note about these: I purchased one about 4 years ago, and was disgusted with the quality (Taiwan I believe), I installed it against my
better judgement, and low-and-behold it immediately started leaking fuel fro the connector. The HOT GLUE!!! that was used to
"seal" the back side of the connector instantly dissolved. I returned it, and furiously explained they were unusable paper weights,
and should not be sold to ANYONE. These sending units had just recently became available back then, so my hope is that they
have fixed the issues. I could not fathom any company continuing to sell such a product, unless it's been fixed. I was able to source
(with great difficulty) an NOS sender for my car, so I had no need to be updated on the status of the rectification of the failure design.

I am certain there is one manufacturer for these, and MANY vendors.

PLEASE let us know the quality, and post several photos of the part, if you end up purchasing one.
1963 HT, Corinthian White / Pearl Beige
1966 Convertible, Sauterne Gold / Parchment leather/Ivy Gold (428 A/C)
1967 Tudor Landau, Raven Black / Black (428)
1970 Five Window Landau Brougham, Ginger Met. Poly / Ginger Hopsack
OneAmongOthers

Post by OneAmongOthers »

I may have to try it. I think mine is no longer working. I tried putting an ohm meter on it and wasn't getting any reading from it. Perhaps I was doing it wrong? Funny thing is I got a new fuel tank as well. Completely different from the one on my car though same manufacturer. Spectra Premium. Different as in its length. Width and height are the same. Tank strap mounting locations and the locations of the mounting point for the fuel sending unit and fuel filler are the same. Just slightly not as long. Probably lost about a gallon of fuel due to its shorter length. Still the new tank is very well made so no gripes there. Now if only I can find a fuel filler neck as mine is corroded around the top just below the filler point.
Any suggestions on how to repair/replace this?
stove

Post by stove »

A good radiator shop (good luck finding one anymore) could solder that up. A good welder could weld or braze it. I "have" a spare I will sell you, but I'd really rather not, def try to have it fixed first.

Try to avoid saying it's for a... :shock: **GASP** :shock: gas tank... Just tell em it's for a steam-punk water fountain or something creative ;-)
Davec

Post by Davec »

I bought a cheap remanufactured one and it lasted a few days before it became faulty again, and did exactly the same as the original faulty one I replaced ! It only read half a tank max. Third time lucky with another sender it works fine now.
stove

Post by stove »

Davec wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:27 pm I bought a cheap remanufactured one and it lasted a few days before it became faulty again, and did exactly the same as the original faulty one I replaced ! It only read half a tank max. Third time lucky with another sender it works fine now.
"Another sender" from where?
Davec

Post by Davec »