Why does the 1970 bird not have hidden headlights?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
JohnMc

Why does the 1970 bird not have hidden headlights?

Post by JohnMc »

Hi all, I'm new to this group and I have a question about the 1970 & 1971 Tbird. Anyone, especially Alan, know why Bunkie Knudson did not mandate hidden headlights on the new car? While the '70 car has always been one of my favorites, I was never a fn of having the headlights just "stuck" inside th headlight boxes in front. Certainly cost was probably a reason, but what the design intent? Any ides?
Alan H. Tast

Re: Why does the 1970 bird not have hidden headlights?

Post by Alan H. Tast »

John, I honestly don't know, but I can speculate that design executives didn't want to have the 'Bird and Mark III share them. Same can be said with the '72-'76s and Mark IVs, but then in '77 the 'Bird returned to hidden headlights, and the semi-distant cousin Mk V had them as well. Some more research is probably warranted on this topic, but for me that will be a long time coming...
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
JohnMc

Re: Why does the 1970 bird not have hidden headlights?

Post by JohnMc »

Thanks Alan, I never thought of it from than angle; sounds logical to me and I can't say I hate the look of the exposed headlights, but to me it sort of "cheapens" the front of the bird. I'll try to photoshop a hidden headlight version and see if you agree. Thanks again for your insight.
Front End.jpg
AWESOME!!!!