HEAD LIGHT DOORS

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
genereynold

HEAD LIGHT DOORS

Post by genereynold »

ANYONE KNOW HOW TO ADJUST HEAD LIGHT DOOR SO IT STAYS CLOSED?
genereynold

Re: HEAD LIGHT DOORS

Post by genereynold »

1967 HEAD LIGHT DOOR WILL NOT STAY CLOSED
stove

Post by stove »

YOU NEED TO BE A BIT MORE DESCRIPTIVE PLEASE. WHAT EXACTLY IS THE ISSUE? DOORS STAYING OPEN REGARDLESS OF HEADLAMPS BEING ON OR NOT?

Happy to help, just need more info.

Cheers
1963 HT, Corinthian White / Pearl Beige
1966 Convertible, Sauterne Gold / Parchment leather/Ivy Gold (428 A/C)
1967 Tudor Landau, Raven Black / Black (428)
1970 Five Window Landau Brougham, Ginger Met. Poly / Ginger Hopsack
genereynold

Post by genereynold »

When the engine is turned off and lights are off right door drifts open. Repair manual says the springs hold them open and closed.
stove

Post by stove »

They open up all the way? Or just a little bit so that the grille is out of alignment? What type of manual do you have? 1967 is all by itself in this (and most other regards) So if you happen to be referencing '68 0r '69 literature it will be totally inaccurate. If the covers are indeed totally opening with the engine off, that is not normal, even if it does have a vacuum leak (which is very likely) and someone has messed with something eg. adding springs ect...
Let us know..

Cheers!
genereynold

Post by genereynold »

I did find out the rt. actuator is spring loaded open which doesn't seem normal. The left side is ok. The rt. side spring is so strong it's hard to pull out to hook it to the door. With the actuator unhooked the door is spring loaded open & closed like the manual says. 1967 428 cpe
stove

Post by stove »

Sounds like wrong spring on the Right, as well as the prerequisite vacuum leak somewhere (most likely failed actuator diaphragm[s]).
When everything is perfect, they hold tight down for as much as ten days (my personal record).

As the manual states the spring should only pull once, "over-center" of the travel. So if the lid is below center of travel, the spring should be slightly pulling the lid down, and vice versa if the lid is above center of travel.
Last edited by stove on Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
genereynold

Post by genereynold »

I'm going to see if I can get it apart and remove or modify the spring.
genereynold

Post by genereynold »

I got a different actuator from west coast cougars, stays closed now. Vacuum has no bearing on it.
Ghostman

Post by Ghostman »

My right cover on my 69 would not stay closed(bad diaphragm). Replaced them both with electric conversion system. I would start first by disconnecting the top hose. Attach hand vacuum pump and close it. If no leak in diaphragm it will stay closed. If it stays closed then work your way back attaching hand vacuum pmp until you find leak. Could be light switch also. Pain in the butt to find leaks. Even more pain to find a new or used vacuum motor. That`s why I switch to electric system. Don`t forget to vacuum check reservoir also. If you do have bad vacuum motor I have a good left vacuum motor I can sell you.
Ghostman

Post by Ghostman »

Disagree with a reply you got. Vacuum does have something to do with it. Springs pull them open only because that is a fail safe design if you loose vacuum.
Ghostman

Post by Ghostman »

I will need to remove metal grilles on my covers and cut slots(length wise) in them because now they are electric they can close on me( driving at night) due to some power interruption to new electric headlight cover system. That`s why vacuum motor system with springs always fails open.
stove

Post by stove »

69 is nothing the same as 67